Products of a chemical reaction

In summary, the homework statement is that NaClO+Na_2SO_3 produces Na_2SO_4+Cl- and NaClO+Na_2SO_4 produces Na_2SO_4+NaCl.
IBY

Homework Statement

Do anyone know the product of:
[tex]NaClO+Na_2SO_3[/tex]

The thing is, while searching online, I found:
[tex]Na_2SO_4+NaCl[/tex]

While the instructor had something along the line of (and he himself isn't sure of the answer, since he is not the one who wrote it):
[tex]Cl_2+Na_2SO_4+H_2O[/tex]
Or something like that. I don't remember how it went exactly.

The only constant between them is the sodium sulfite. So, which is it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I´m not sure which one of the reactions happens but your second equation can`t be right in this form, because you left one of the Na+ out and you still need one Cl-, and one O2-. Where got he the H+ from?

These are not full reaction equations, these are just products listed.

Cl2 is not the product of hypochlorite reduction, Cl- is. Cl2 is a strong oxidizng agent, so in the presence of SO32- reaction will not stop at Cl2.

--
methods

So, is this right, then?:
[tex]NaClO+Na_2SO_3[/tex]--->[tex]Na_2SO_4+Cl^-[/tex]
It is not balanced, of course, that is something I will do in my own time.

The alternative I got from online research was:
[tex]NaClO+Na_2SO_3[/tex]--->[tex]Na_2SO_4+NaCl[/tex]

But I don't know which one is right.

Last edited:
Your first equation - as written - can't be balanced. Equation is balanced when atoms are balanced and CHARGE is balanced - you can't balance charge having it on one side only.

Also note that what really happens here is a reaction between ClO- and SO32- - Na+ are just spectators.

--
methods

Okay, I balanced the redox equation:
[tex]ClO^-+SO^{-2}_3[/tex]--->[tex]SO^{-2}_4+Cl^-[/tex]

To:

[tex]ClO^-+SO^{-2}_3[/tex]--->[tex]Cl^-+SO^{-2}_4[/tex]

Correction: It looks like after balancing it, things remain the same, since all oxygen is accounted for, there is no need to add water, and so there is no need to balance hydrogen, and charge remains -3 for both sides.

But how does Na come into play?

Last edited:
The Na+ stays as Na+ as long as you don`t dry it. So usually (at least )in school you can ignore it in your equation.

Thanks!

That's why it is called a spectator - it just sits there and watches others at work :smile:

--

1. What are the products of a chemical reaction?

The products of a chemical reaction are the substances that are formed as a result of the reaction. These products have different chemical and physical properties than the reactants that were used in the reaction.

2. How can I determine the products of a chemical reaction?

The products of a chemical reaction can be determined by balancing the chemical equation and identifying the reactants and products. The reactants are the substances that are used to initiate the reaction, while the products are the substances that are formed as a result of the reaction.

3. What factors can affect the products of a chemical reaction?

The products of a chemical reaction can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, and presence of a catalyst. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction and the type and amount of products formed.

4. Can the products of a chemical reaction be reversed?

In most cases, the products of a chemical reaction cannot be reversed to reform the reactants. This is because chemical reactions are usually irreversible, meaning the products cannot be converted back to the original reactants. However, certain reactions can be reversed under specific conditions.

5. How can I predict the products of a chemical reaction?

To predict the products of a chemical reaction, you need to have a good understanding of the reactants involved and their chemical properties. You can also use the periodic table and knowledge of chemical bonding to predict the products. In some cases, experimental data or computer simulations may be needed to accurately predict the products.