Calculating Electric Field at Midpoint Between Two Charged Disks

In summary, the problem involves two thin disks of negligible thickness, with one centered at x=0 having a positive charge density n and the other centered at x=a having a negative charge density -n. The goal is to find the magnitude of the electric field at a point on the x-axis with x coordinate a/2. After correcting a mistake in calculations, the final answer is expressed as E = nR / (2Epsilon0(a/2)^2).
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Consider two thin disks, of negligible thickness, of radius R oriented perpendicular to the x-axis such that the x-axis runs through the center of each disk. The disk centered at x=0 has positive charge density n, and the disk centered at x=a has negative charge density -n , where the charge density is charge per unit area. What is the magnitude E of the electric field at the point on the x-axis with x coordinate a/2?
Express your answer in terms of n, R, a, and the permittivity of free space Epsilon0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I can't type this out with proper math code legibly (or at least i don't know how to), I uploaded a picture of the sheet I did my work on. Please let me know where i went wrong! I also uploaded a pic of the problem so you can visualize it. Thank you!

Attachments

• work.jpg
    work.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 836
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
i think that is what i did in my work??

One mistake is in your calculations is that you used n as the total charge on the disk. You didn't need to do that because n is the charge density; it's what you called [itex]\sigma[/itex].

Also, check your integration. You didn't show any steps, so I can't tell what you did wrong.

Actually, I think your integration is correct, so it's just the other mistake. Everything else looks okay to me.

OOOHHH THANK YOU...yea i definitely thought n was the charge, not the charge desnity...got the answer correct when i fixed that...9 times out of 10, i usually just read the problem wrong! HAHA

thanks again! :)

1. How do you calculate the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks?

To calculate the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks, you need to find the individual electric fields of each disk and then add them together using vector addition. You can use the formula E = kQ/r^2 to find the electric field of each disk, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the disk, and r is the distance between the disk and the midpoint. Once you have the electric fields of both disks, you can add them together to find the total electric field at the midpoint.

2. What is the significance of calculating the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks?

Calculating the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks can help us understand the electric field distribution between the disks. It also allows us to determine the strength and direction of the electric field at that point, which can be useful in various applications such as in capacitors and electric circuits.

3. What is the difference between the electric field at the midpoint and the electric field at the center of a charged disk?

The electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks is the result of the combined electric fields of both disks, while the electric field at the center of a charged disk only takes into account the electric field of that single disk. Additionally, the electric field at the midpoint may be stronger or weaker than the electric field at the center, depending on the charges and distances of the disks.

4. Can the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks ever be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks to be zero. This can occur if the charges on the disks are equal and opposite, and the distances from the disks to the midpoint are also equal. In this case, the electric fields of the two disks will cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero at the midpoint.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks?

Calculating the electric field at the midpoint between two charged disks can be useful in designing and understanding the behavior of capacitors, electric circuits, and other electronic devices. It can also be applied in fields such as electromagnetism, where understanding the electric field distribution is crucial in predicting the behavior of charged particles.