Solution to time offset vector equation?

In summary, the problem is that the data is not continuous, so the easy way around it is to manually align every single value of the data with the reference peak. However, this is computationally expensive.
Xuser
Hello math goers,

My education in linear algebra is limited to an Intro course I took a year ago. So I am posting this to see if such a solution exists in the first place, at least so I can start learning about it.

The problem is: solve A for equation
[tex] u(t) = A \cdot v(t+t_o) [/tex]

[tex] \left[ \begin{array}{c} u(t_1)\\ u(t_2)\\ \vdots\\ u(t_n) \end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} a_1 & a_2 & \cdots & a_n \end{array} \right] \cdot \left[ \begin{array}{c} v(t_1+t_o) \\ v(t_2+t_o) \\ \vdots \\ v(t_n+t_o) \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Where [tex] t_o [/tex] is some known offset with respect to [tex] t [/tex] .

Essentially what these represent are two data signals [tex] v(t_v) [/tex] and [tex] u(t_u) [/tex], these two signals have some small time offset that I can calculate using a reference peak that both signals contain. However, getting A is not as simple as solving for A because the data is not continuous.

The "easy" way around this is to manually align every single value [tex] v(t_v) [/tex] with [tex] u(t_u)[/tex], but this is computationally expensive.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation looks a bit strange. The right hand side would be a scalar since it is the inner product of two vectors. On the other hand, the left side is a vector. Shouldn't A be a matrix?

Torquil

torquil said:
Your notation looks a bit strange. The right hand side would be a scalar since it is the inner product of two vectors. On the other hand, the left side is a vector. Shouldn't A be a matrix?

Torquil

Yes, sorry about that, it should look like:

[tex] \left[ \begin{array}{c} u(t_1)\\ u(t_2)\\ \vdots\\ u(t_n) \end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{c} a_1 \\ a_2 \\ \cdots \\ a_n \end{array} \right] \cdot \left[ \begin{array}{c} v(t_1+t_o) \\ v(t_2+t_o) \\ \vdots \\ v(t_n+t_o) \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Where, [tex] a_n [/tex] is some scaling constant. For simplicity, I am just going to go ahead and let [tex] a_n=1; [/tex] for all n. So that the equation now is:

[tex] u(t) = v(t+t_o) [/tex]

Which I just realized isn't really an equation at all... my problem is a sampling problem. If I have some time vector
[tex] t=\left( \begin{array}{c}1\\ 2\\ 3\\ 4\\ 5\\ 6 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

and signal vectors, representing step function:
[tex] u=\left( \begin{array}{c} 0\\ 0\\ 0\\ 1\\ 1\\ 1\end{array}\right); \; v=\left( \begin{array}{c} 0\\ 2\\ 2\\ 2\\ 0\\ 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

Then [tex] t_o= -2[/tex], and [tex] a_n= \frac{u(t_n)}{v(t_n-2)} [/tex]
which happens to be equal to 2 or 0 in this case.

Because this is a discrete signal, whenever [tex]t_o[/tex] is larger than the length of the signal, this will not work. I think I need to insert "fake" points in the data vectors for this case.

Perhaps this thread belongs in the "Computing & Technology" forum?

I would suggest exploring the use of Fourier analysis to solve this time offset vector equation. This approach involves transforming the data signals into the frequency domain, where the time offset can be easily identified and corrected for. This can be more efficient and accurate compared to manually aligning each value. Additionally, you can look into techniques such as cross-correlation and time shifting to further refine your solution. I would also recommend consulting with experts in signal processing for further guidance on this problem.

1. What is the time offset vector equation?

The time offset vector equation is a mathematical representation of the difference in time between two events or observations that are separated by a certain distance. It takes into account factors such as the speed of light and the relative motion of the observer.

2. How is the time offset vector equation used in science?

In science, the time offset vector equation is used to calculate the time delay between two events or observations, which can be critical in fields such as astronomy and cosmology. It is also used in the development of GPS systems and other technologies that rely on precise timekeeping.

3. What are some common variables in the time offset vector equation?

Some common variables in the time offset vector equation include the speed of light, the distance between the two events or observations, and the relative velocity of the observer. Other variables such as gravitational effects may also need to be taken into account depending on the specific situation.

4. Can the time offset vector equation be applied to everyday life?

While the time offset vector equation is primarily used in scientific and technological fields, it can also be applied in everyday life. For example, it can be used to calculate the time difference between two locations on Earth, accounting for factors such as the curvature of the planet and the rotation of the Earth.

5. Are there any limitations to the time offset vector equation?

Like any mathematical equation, the time offset vector equation has its limitations. It assumes a constant speed of light and does not take into account factors such as gravitational time dilation. Additionally, it may not accurately predict time differences in extreme scenarios, such as near the event horizon of a black hole.