Solutions of a diophantine equation

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a diophantine polynomial equation and its solutions, which can be approximated by a summation expression involving the exponent of the equation and a given number N. However, there may be a typo in the expression and the sum always equals N. The conversation also suggests testing the formula and considering the complex number aspect of the sum.
zetafunction
given the diophantine polynomial equation

[tex] f(x)=0mod(p) [/tex]

then is the number of solution approximately less than a given N approximately

[tex] \sum_{i\le N}e^{2i p\pi f(j)} [/tex]

the idea is that the sum takes its maximum value every time p divides f(j) for some integer 'j''

Physics news on Phys.org
I replied yesterday (March 26), but the reply was lost with the server problems. I'll try again:

Your summation expression appears to have a typo. If n is any integer, then

[tex]e^{2i p\pi n} = 1[/tex]

so the expression always sums to N. Perhaps you meant to divide by p in the exponent instead of multiplying by p. Questions of this sort are discussed in the first few sections of Number Theory by Borevich and Shafarevich.

Additional comments:

1. You might want to test your formula with [itex]f(x) = x^p - x[/itex], since all natural numbers are solutions.

2. In general, your sum will be a complex number. In what sense do you want to consider a complex number to approximate the number of solutions?

Petek

1. What is a diophantine equation?

A diophantine equation is an algebraic equation that involves only integer solutions. It is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Diophantus.

2. How do you solve a diophantine equation?

Solving a diophantine equation involves finding integer solutions that satisfy the given equation. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, elimination, or using modular arithmetic.

3. What are some real-world applications of diophantine equations?

Diophantine equations have been used in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. They can also be used to model real-world problems, such as finding the number of possible combinations of items.

4. Are there any unsolved diophantine equations?

Yes, there are many unsolved diophantine equations, including some famous ones such as Fermat's Last Theorem and the Collatz conjecture. These equations have been studied for centuries, but remain unsolved due to their complexity.

5. Can diophantine equations have more than one solution?

Yes, diophantine equations can have multiple solutions. In fact, there can be infinite solutions for some equations. For example, the equation x + y = 10 has an infinite number of integer solutions.