Seeking Advice: Two Families Renting Together

• Thread starter mixedbluberry
  • Start date
In summary: That would be a UK terrace, although I will say, ours have more character.I stand corrected as to the North American aspect. In Canada, those are still multiplexes with whatever prefix is applicable. Before my wife buggered off, we lived in one unit of a quadraplex, which everyone here calls a 4-plex. You Yanks have different terms for a lot of things. For instance, I still don't know what the hell a "brownstone" is. For some reason, it sounds both dirty and expensive at the same time.I think it's more common in the US to have two houses side by side,
mixedbluberry
Please help me

There are two families that want to rent together in a house but they want to be almost separate
Like a house for onw family and a unit for the other family separate in the same house.
if i need to do research what is this kind of place called ? Please help me?

Thank you to all of you

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a duplex house mean?

If i need a house to rent but i also want another unit with to rent to somebody else what is called ?

Thanks

A duplex is two units (they're like two separate houses) joined by a common wall.

Duplex means either a whole house on top of another house -- separate entrances, completely separate homes. Or, it means side-by-side houses that happen to be joined in the centre.

What the family might be more inclined toward is what we refer to here as "basement suites". That's where the lower floor of a home is set up as a complete apartment but has access to the upper floors if the "airlock" door is left open. (Bad choice of words, but close to what I meant. There's a common entrance, which opens into a stairwell landing. Go downstairs to the basement suite, or upstairs to the main floor. Each has it's own lockable entry door.)

Evo said:
A duplex is two units (they're like two separate houses) joined by a common wall.
Isn't that a row house ? Duplex apartments are 2-level apartments.

Siv said:

The term "row house" doesn't exist in North America. Duplexes are two mirror-image houses that share a common wall. There is no connection between them as far as entrance goes.
(They don't have to be mirror images, but that's the way that they're normally built.)

Siv said:
No, here a duplex is side by side. I guess depending on the style oF homes in your area, the definition changes. There will be what appears to be a large one or 2 story home, split down the middle and both have their own front door.

Edit: I see Danger already beat me to it!

Danger said:
The term "row house" doesn't exist in North America.
um.. yes, it does.. they are basically homes with 'common outer walls' .. example -> http://baltimorerehab.com/327_s_fulton/PICT0006.JPG

example of a 'duplex' -> http://www.ar-cityliving.com/imgs/capitol/duplex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Britain:

A single house, attached to no others = Detached
Two houses, attached by a common wall = Semi-Detached
Three or more houses attached in a row = Terrace

Generally, if a building is split in two (vertically) it is considered to be split into flats.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

By the sounds of it you want what Danger suggested, a house with a self contained basement (or attic) flat.

g33kski11z said:
um.. yes, it does.. they are basically homes with 'common outer walls' .. example -> http://baltimorerehab.com/327_s_fulton/PICT0006.JPG
Wow, that's a really old neighborhood. You don't see that in the south or Southwest, or mid-America.

Evo said:
Wow, that's a really old neighborhood. You don't see that in the south or Southwest, or mid-America.

That would be a UK terrace, although I will say, ours have more character.

PF-terrace-houses_1109768c.jpg

g33kski11z said:
um.. yes, it does.. they are basically homes with 'common outer walls'

I stand corrected as to the North American aspect. In Canada, those are still multiplexes with whatever prefix is applicable. Before my wife buggered off, we lived in one unit of a quadraplex, which everyone here calls a 4-plex. You Yanks have different terms for a lot of things. For instance, I still don't know what the hell a "brownstone" is. For some reason, it sounds both dirty and expensive at the same time.

Evo said:
No, here a duplex is side by side. I guess depending on the style oF homes in your area, the definition changes. There will be what appears to be a large one or 2 story home, split down the middle and both have their own front door.

Edit: I see Danger already beat me to it!
Wow, and here in India that definition would be very different :smile:

Danger said:
The term "row house" doesn't exist in North America.

Come to think of it, I've not heard the term "row house" used in Canada. We call them "townhouses" don't we?

Danger said:
Duplexes are two mirror-image houses that share a common wall. There is no connection between them as far as entrance goes.
(They don't have to be mirror images, but that's the way that they're normally built.)

See, I first heard that term as a definition for that type of house when I moved to western Canada. In eastern Canada, and in the neighbourhoods I grew up in, we called houses like that a "double". Houses that were split horizontally with an up/down configuration with both homes being above ground and having separate entrances were called "duplexes".

jarednjames said:
That would be a UK terrace, although I will say, ours have more character.

PF-terrace-houses_1109768c.jpg

Those are gorgeous. I *wish* we had those here so attractively designed. We have them, they just generally don't look as nice and don't face a main road. They tend to be built in blobs of like-houses in a community of crescents and cul-de-sacs and confusing little streets and all match each other. They're called "townhouses" here. Terrace sounds much nicer.

GeorginaS said:
Come to think of it, I've not heard the term "row house" used in Canada. We call them "townhouses" don't we?
They're pretty much unheard of in the majority of the US.
Similar to townhouses, row houses are located in older, larger cities, especially those on the eastern coast of the United States.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-row-houses.htm

What are the benefits of two families renting together?

Renting together with another family can provide financial benefits, such as splitting the cost of rent and utilities. It can also create a sense of community and support, as both families can share responsibilities and help each other out.

What are some potential challenges of renting with another family?

Some potential challenges may include differing lifestyles and habits, which can lead to conflicts. It is important for both families to have open communication and establish clear boundaries and expectations to avoid any potential issues.

How should rent and expenses be divided between the two families?

The division of rent and expenses can vary, but some common ways include splitting everything equally, or dividing based on the size and usage of each family's living space. It is important for both families to discuss and come to a mutual agreement on the division of costs.

What are some important things to consider before entering into a rental agreement with another family?

Before entering into a rental agreement, it is important to consider factors such as compatibility, financial stability, and shared responsibilities. Both families should also discuss and agree on rules and expectations for the living arrangement.

What are some tips for maintaining a positive relationship with the other family while renting together?

Communication is key to maintaining a positive relationship while renting together. It is important to have open and honest communication about any issues or concerns that may arise. Both families should also respect each other's space and boundaries, and be considerate of each other's needs and schedules.