Wheel and turntable with different angular velocity

In summary: So the answer would be something like "in summary, the angular acceleration of the wheel at the instant shown is 50(cos35-sin35) rad/s".
physicsss
The axle of a wheel is mounted on supports that rest on a rotating turntable as shown in Fig. 10-50. The wheel has angular velocity w1 = 50.0 rad/s about its axle, and the turntable has angular velocity of w=35.0 rad/s about a vertical axis. (Note arrows showing these motions in the figure.)

here's the picture: http://www.geocities.com/sinceury/10-50.gif

What is the magnitude and direction of the angular acceleration of the wheel at the instant shown? Take the z axis vertically upward and the direction of the axle at the moment shown to be the x-axis pointing to the right.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular velocity of the wheel is

[tex]\omega_{wheel} \left(\cos \omega_{table} t \hat i - \sin \omega_{table} t \hat j \right) + \omega_{"table"} \hat k[/tex]

from which you can find the angular acceleration by differentiating with respect to time. (I didn't check the signs carefully so check them - this will give you a start!)

I don't understand...

If the table were not turning the angular velocity of the wheel would be a vector with only x and y components. What I did was to take that angular velocity and rotated it as a function of time about the z axis. That's the first part of the expression I wrote. In fact, I chose the rotation rate to be that of the table upon which the wheel sits. (The [itex]\omega[/itex]'s are angular speeds - i.e. not vectors!.)

Imparting a rotation of the wheel about the z axis provides an additional component of the angular velocity of the wheel. That is the second term I wrote.

The angular acceleration acceleration is 50(cos35-sin35)...?

No. The expression I wrote is the angular velocity. To find the angular acceleration you will need to differentiate with respect to time. Don't forget the angular acceleration is a vector meaning it has both direction and magnitude.

1. How does the angular velocity of a wheel affect its motion?

The angular velocity of a wheel determines how quickly it rotates. A higher angular velocity means the wheel will make more rotations in a given time period, resulting in faster motion.

2. What is the relationship between the angular velocity of a turntable and the speed of a rotating object on it?

The angular velocity of a turntable directly affects the speed of a rotating object on it. The faster the turntable spins, the higher the speed of the object on it will be.

3. Can a wheel and turntable have different angular velocities?

Yes, a wheel and turntable can have different angular velocities. A turntable can be set to rotate at a certain speed while a wheel attached to it can have a different angular velocity depending on its size or gearing.

4. How does friction impact the angular velocity of a wheel and turntable?

Friction can slow down the angular velocity of a wheel and turntable. As the wheel and turntable rotate, there is friction between their surfaces which can cause a decrease in the angular velocity over time.

5. How can the angular velocity of a wheel and turntable be measured?

The angular velocity of a wheel and turntable can be measured using a tachometer or by calculating the number of rotations per unit of time. The angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute.