Set theory proof - counter examples

In summary, when disproving a statement, using Venn diagrams can help in finding counter examples. However, the counter example does not have to be the simplest possible, it just needs to disprove the statement. One method is to make A=B={a} and C = {c} and show that the left hand side does not equal the right hand side. Another method is to use A=C={a} and B = Ø for the counter example. Thank you for the helpful diagrams and explanation.
amp92
I'm having a problem with providing counter examples when disproving a statement. For example A - (B U C) = (A - B) U (A - C). The solution given was A = {a}, B = {a} and C = empty set.

My question is how can you work this out - i was told it's possible from the Venn diagrams but I'm not sure how this works. My method to find counter examples is usually to make A = {a}, B = {b} and C = {c} and then show the LHS doesn't equal the RIGHT. If it does i make changes to either A,B,C (i.e. use empty sets etc.). So for the example above can't you have A = {a}, B = {a} and C = {c}. How do you know C is an empty set?

Is it ok to stick with my method or can someone explain how to use the Venn diagrams for the LHS and RHS to find the counter examples.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
amp92 said:
I'm having a problem with providing counter examples when disproving a statement. For example A - (B U C) = (A - B) U (A - C). The solution given was A = {a}, B = {a} and C = empty set.

My question is how can you work this out - i was told it's possible from the Venn diagrams but I'm not sure how this works. My method to find counter examples is usually to make A = {a}, B = {b} and C = {c} and then show the LHS doesn't equal the RIGHT. If it does i make changes to either A,B,C (i.e. use empty sets etc.). So for the example above can't you have A = {a}, B = {a} and C = {c}. How do you know C is an empty set?

Is it ok to stick with my method or can someone explain how to use the Venn diagrams for the LHS and RHS to find the counter examples.

Thank you :)

Here's a picture of the corresponding Venn diagrams.
venn.gif

As you can see the diagrams are different in both cases.
In particular, if A ∩ B contains an element that is not part of C, we have a situation where the difference shows.
Let's say A ∩ B = {a} and {a} ⊄ C.
Then the simplest case of this would be if A=B={a} and C=Ø.

Ok i think i understand - you could have A=B={a} and C = {c} but it wouldn't be the simplest answer?

Also could you do exactly what you did for A ∩ B for A ∩ C instead as an alternative answer so the counter example would be A=C={a} and B = Ø?

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and for the diagrams :)

amp92 said:
Ok i think i understand - you could have A=B={a} and C = {c} but it wouldn't be the simplest answer?

Yes, but your solution is fine too!
The counter example does not have to be the simplest possible, it just needs to do the job.
Of course, as a purist mathematician, I tend to search for the simplest most elegant solution.

amp92 said:
Also could you do exactly what you did for A ∩ B for A ∩ C instead as an alternative answer so the counter example would be A=C={a} and B = Ø?

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and for the diagrams :)

Yes, that works just the same. :smile:

As a scientist, my response to this content would be to first clarify the purpose of providing counter examples in a proof. Counter examples are used to disprove a statement, which means that they show that the statement is not always true. In the case of set theory, counter examples are used to show that a particular equation or relationship between sets is not always valid.

In the example given, the statement being disproved is A - (B U C) = (A - B) U (A - C). This statement is claiming that the set A minus the union of sets B and C is equal to the union of A minus B and A minus C. To disprove this statement, we need to find a counter example, which means finding values for A, B, and C that make the equation false.

One way to do this is by using the method mentioned in the content, which is to choose specific values for A, B, and C and see if the equation holds true. However, this method may not always be efficient and may not always lead to a clear counter example.

Another method is to use Venn diagrams. Venn diagrams are useful tools for visualizing sets and their relationships. In the example given, we can draw a Venn diagram with three intersecting circles representing sets A, B, and C. We can then label the circles with the given values for A, B, and C (A = {a}, B = {a}, C = empty set).

From the Venn diagram, we can see that the left side of the equation (A - (B U C)) would be the shaded area outside of the union of B and C, which in this case is just the single element {a}. The right side of the equation ((A - B) U (A - C)) would be the union of the shaded areas outside of B and outside of C, which in this case would also be just the single element {a}. Therefore, the equation holds true in this case and we do not have a counter example.

However, as a scientist, it is important to also consider the possibility of other values for A, B, and C that could potentially lead to a counter example. In this case, we can see that if we change the value of C to {c} instead of an empty set, then the equation would not hold true. This is because the left side of the equation would still be just the single element

1. What is a counterexample in set theory?

A counterexample in set theory is a specific example that disproves a proposed theorem or statement. It is a set of elements that does not follow the given rule or property, thus showing that the statement is not universally true.

2. How do you use a counterexample to prove a statement false?

To use a counterexample to prove a statement false in set theory, you must first understand the statement and its proposed rule or property. Then, you must find a set of elements that follows the given rule but does not satisfy the statement. This set serves as the counterexample and proves that the statement is not universally true.

3. Can a counterexample be used to prove a statement true?

No, a counterexample can only be used to prove a statement false. If a counterexample is found, it shows that the statement is not universally true. However, if a counterexample is not found, it does not necessarily mean that the statement is true. Additional proof or evidence is needed to confirm the statement.

4. Are counterexamples commonly used in set theory proofs?

Yes, counterexamples are commonly used in set theory proofs, especially when trying to disprove a statement or theorem. They are also useful in identifying exceptions to a rule or property, which can lead to a better understanding of the concept.

5. Can a counterexample be used in all types of set theory proofs?

Yes, a counterexample can be used in all types of set theory proofs, including proofs by contradiction, direct proofs, and indirect proofs. It is a valuable tool in disproving statements and finding exceptions to rules and properties.