What Equations Calculate Force and Energy in a Gauss Gun Setup?

In summary, the conversation discusses using magnets and ball bearings in a Gauss gun and the principles of electromagnetic induction and potential energy. The equations F = BIl and PE = mgh are used to calculate the force acting on the ball bearing and the potential energy at different displacements from the magnet.
Exadoi
Hi guys I am new, have tried to look for a topic similar to this and have some stuff vaguely relating to the topic but most is due to solenoids and 'dipoles' ?

Ok, for a Physcis EEI i am trying to find the most beneficial arrangement of magnets and ball bearings for a Gauss gun that magnifies the velocity of the first ball bearing xfering to the last ball bearing in the series. I have done my testing on an aluminium track, where i recorded how far each ball bearing rose up a curve so i could calculate energy from E=Mgh, simple enough. But i have realized i must also calculate the theoretical value so i can compare it with my practical value.

I am using solid neodymium magnets of 5300 gauss or .53 telsa (ithink) that are cylindrical 0.01m*0.01m and was wondering what equation i could use to work out the force acted upon the first ball bearing (0.01m radius, 0.00351kg) in the series, which was given no extra velocity by me, only the velocity that the magnetic field acted upon it ( this ball bearing is attracted by the magnet when 0.02m away from it).

I also would appreciate it if someone could explain how i could give/find the Potential Energy Difference of the first ball bearing (which would be at 0m due to its close proximity to the magnet) and the Potential Energy of the last Ball bearing in the system which changes from a displacement of 0.02m - 0.04m from the magnet (in the sereis of test due to a differnt number of 'buffer ballbearings). With the Kinetic energy gained from the 0.02m of acceleration of the first ball bearing (by the magnet) i could then subtract from it the Magnetic Potential Energy of the ball bearing to be launched to discover the total energy impacted onto the last ball bearing in the series (and do this for Displacements of 0.02,0.03 & 0.04m)

*If there is no way to calculate the first part concerning the velocity of the ball bearing, i may simply time how long it takes for the ball bearing to reach the magnet and use SUVAT to calculate the velocity* however the Magnetic potential energy part is still eluding my knowledge of physics and is my greatest priority. However if an equation or series of equations exists for the frist part, it would be helpful as it would be introduce a lesser degree of error than using SUVAT

Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated

I apologise for the length of the question, but i wanted to explain myself clearly and i hope that i have used correct abbreviations for my values etc (i have attempted to explain them clearly also)

I hope this is not classed as a 'Homework Question" and if deemed so i will move it to the other forum, as i am not asking for somebody to give me the answer but show me what tools to use so i may calculate them myself (i have only included the values to give a genearl idea of my experiment).

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a really interesting topic for your EEI. The use of magnets and ball bearings in a Gauss gun is definitely related to solenoids and dipoles, as you mentioned. The key principle at play here is electromagnetic induction, which is the production of an electromotive force (EMF) in a circuit by a changing magnetic field.

To answer your first question about calculating the force acting on the first ball bearing, you can use the equation F = BIl, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current (or in this case, the velocity of the ball bearing), and l is the length of the conductor (in this case, the length of the track). Since you know the values for B and l, you can solve for the force acting on the ball bearing.

For the second part of your question about potential energy, you can use the equation PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the ball bearing, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. In this case, h would be the displacement of the ball bearing from the magnet. You can calculate the potential energy at different displacements and compare them to determine the change in potential energy.

I hope this helps you with your calculations. Good luck with your EEI! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

What is a Linear Magnetic Accelerator?

A Linear Magnetic Accelerator, also known as a linear motor or a coil gun, is a device that uses electromagnetism to accelerate a projectile along a straight path. It consists of a series of coils that are energized in a precise sequence to create a magnetic field that propels the projectile forward.

How does a Linear Magnetic Accelerator work?

A Linear Magnetic Accelerator works by using the principles of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a coil, it creates a magnetic field. By rapidly energizing and de-energizing a series of coils along a track, the magnetic field pulls the projectile forward, accelerating it to high speeds.

What are the advantages of using a Linear Magnetic Accelerator?

The main advantage of using a Linear Magnetic Accelerator is that it can accelerate projectiles to very high speeds without the use of explosives or chemical propellants. This makes it a safer and more environmentally friendly alternative to traditional firearms. Additionally, it can be used for precision targeting and does not produce recoil or muzzle flash.

What are the limitations of a Linear Magnetic Accelerator?

One of the main limitations of a Linear Magnetic Accelerator is the distance that the projectile can travel. The magnetic field weakens over distance, so the acceleration and speed of the projectile will decrease the further it travels. Another limitation is the need for a power source to energize the coils, which can be costly and may limit the portability of the device.

What are the potential applications of a Linear Magnetic Accelerator?

A Linear Magnetic Accelerator has potential applications in various fields such as space exploration, military and defense, and transportation. It could be used to launch satellites into orbit, propel spacecraft, and launch projectiles for military purposes. It could also be used in high-speed transportation systems, such as a hyperloop, to move people and goods at high speeds with minimal environmental impact.