What is a Four Bar Linkage and How is it Used in Machine Mechanisms?

In summary: you are trying to design a machine that can flip parts by using a four bar linkage? and you don't have the application because you are an industrial attachment student?
rachelleteo
anybody knows about 4 bar linkage??
there's a crank and slider mechanism and i need help... i would like to know more about the crank slider and what is it made of?? what is that slider made of?? roller?? 2 bars and a square metal?? help! thanks alot...

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it's in a mechanics textbook, it doesn't matter. It's just a model, it means that the slider is allowed to slide but restrained in other directions of movement.

emm.. no... what if it's not in the textbook... and i am suppose to make the slider out... do you or anyone have any ideas?? thanks... cos currently i am having my industrial attachment thingy and i am thinking of some machine improvements... and need to design something like that... and i do not know what that thing is actually like.. what i know is just the model and the drawing..

Well I'm not sure I understand.

What are you making? Could you use a smoothed block and some polished surfaces? Perhaps a t-slide? Or just some rollers? If you provide more information we might be able to help!

it is not easy to explain... emm... cos i am designing some improvements... and i just want to know how a crank slider work and how is it like(for the real) thing...
i am still designing and i need to know it just to visualise whether it can be fixed onto that machine or not... cos due there is some obstructions, i got to first visualise and see whether will it works..
thanks so much for your help...

A normal piston engine is an example of a crank slider. The piston is the slider. The fourth bar in a four bar linkage doesn't move - it is the frame that the other (moving) bars attach to.

thanks so much for your help, ceptimus... so, is the piston hydraulic?? or pneumatic?? normally for a four bar linkage, a motor is attached to trigger it to move the bars, so for this crank and slider, it is the slider that is using a piston to move the rest of the bars??

You're not making any sense.

A four bar linkage is just a simplification for a mechanism found in many machines, the piston engine is just one of them. In a car engine, the piston is powered by expanding gases being combusted. On something else, the mechanism may be hydraulically actuated, or driven by an electric motor, or by a big hamster wheel, whatever.

Show us your application and we'll show you how it works. Perhaps you have a motor turning your crank, perhaps you have a compressed source pushing a piston, all you've told us is that you're using a four-bar linkage!

so the four bar linkage is a simplification for mechanism found in machines, i got what you mean. because what i have learned are those theories part of this four bar linkage and it doesn't tells me that it is the simplification for mechanism found in machines or maybe i didn't make good notice of it.

well, i don't have the application, because i am trying to design out and four bar linkage just come to my mind. what i am going to design is a mechanism that can flip parts (from die casting) when the part is being dropped from the top by a robot arm. i am still learning as i am an IA (industrial attachment) student and that is my task and that is also why i want to know more about this four bar linkage.

you get me now?

1. What is a crank slider-4 bar linkage?

A crank slider-4 bar linkage is a mechanism that is used to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of four rigid bars connected by four joints, with one of the joints being a slider and another being a crank.

2. What are the applications of a crank slider-4 bar linkage?

Crank slider-4 bar linkages are commonly used in mechanical systems, such as engines, pumps, and presses, to convert rotary motion into linear motion. They are also used in robotics and in the design of suspension systems for vehicles.

3. How does a crank slider-4 bar linkage work?

The crank slider-4 bar linkage works by using the rotation of the crank to move the slider along the path of the slider joint. This movement of the slider causes the other two joints to move in a coordinated manner, creating a linear motion of the fourth bar.

4. What are the advantages of using a crank slider-4 bar linkage?

Some advantages of using a crank slider-4 bar linkage include its compact size, simplicity of design, and ability to convert rotary motion to linear motion with high precision and efficiency. It also allows for a wide range of motion and can be easily adjusted to fit different applications.

5. How is the motion of a crank slider-4 bar linkage calculated?

The motion of a crank slider-4 bar linkage can be calculated using the principles of kinematics, which involve analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of each joint in the linkage. This can be done using mathematical equations or through computer simulations.