Fixed points of conjugate functions

In summary, Sunjin was trying to show that if p is an attractive fixed point of f(x), then h(p) is an attractive fixed point of g(x). He was able to show that if p is a fixed point of f then h(p) is a fixed point of g, and he was able to make a somewhat convincing argument that goes like this.
razmtaz

Homework Statement

suppose f and g are conjugate

show that if p is an attractive fixed point of f(x), then h(p) is an attractive fixed point of g(x).

Homework Equations

f and g being conjugate means there exist continuous bijections h and h^-1 so that h(f(x)) = g(h(x))

a point p is an attractive fixed point of there exists an interval I = (p-a,p+a) such that for all x in I the iterates of f(x) tend to p as the number of iterations tends to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I can show that if p is a fixed point of f then h(p) is a fixed point of g:
h(f(p)) = g(h(p)) and we know f(p) = p so simplify to get
h(p) = g(h(p)) and this part is now done.

Also, I know that if x is in I, then h(x) is in h(I)

what I want to show is that for all x in h(I), gn(x) -> h(p)
(that is, the iterates of x under g converge to h(p))
and that's as far as I've gotten. How can I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
h being continuous means for any convergent sequence {x_n}→x, h(x_n)→h(x). Now you have a sequence of f(x_n) that converges to f(x), what about their image sequence under h?

Sorry Sunjin I might have missed what you were getting at but here's an attempt:

we have a sequence {x, f(x), f(f(x)), ...} which has x as some point in the basin of attraction of a fixed point p, but not equal to p, that converges to f(p)=p. Similarly, if we apply h to every element in this sequence, we get {h(x), h(f(x)), ...} which converges to h(f(p)) = h(p).

I think that on a test I could make a somewhat convincing argument that goes like this, but is this what you were thinking of? it seems right to me, because we know it works for ANY x in the basin of attraction of the fixed point, and since h is bijective and we have that h(f(x)) = g(h(x)) then every point in the sequence has an image in the space that J is in and eventually converges to h(p), the image under h of the limit of the sequence

Is this strong enough? have I missed the point?

Thanks a lot : )

you mentioned that h is continuous. Is this the reason that we can find a neighbourhood N around our fixed point such that the sequence of iterates of any point in the neighbourhood converged to the fixed point? And hence there is an analogous neighbourhood h(N) where the same is true for iterates of g(h(x)) except that they converge to the fixed point g(h(p)) = h(p)

A continuous funcation preserves convergent sequences is the key. (This applies to functions defined on a first countable space. R is certainly first countable, but this theorem in real analysis is proved using ordinary definition of limit and convergence.)

1. What are fixed points of conjugate functions?

Fixed points of conjugate functions are points in a function where the input value and the output value are the same. In other words, when you plug in the output value as the input, you get the same value as the output. These points are also known as "self-mapping" or "self-referential" points.

2. How are fixed points of conjugate functions useful in mathematics?

Fixed points of conjugate functions have many applications in mathematics, such as in optimization problems, dynamical systems, and differential equations. They also play a significant role in chaos theory and complex systems.

3. What is the relationship between fixed points of conjugate functions and convex functions?

A convex function is a type of function that has a unique global minimum point, which is also a fixed point. This means that all convex functions have at least one fixed point, and in some cases, there may be multiple fixed points.

4. Can fixed points of conjugate functions be found analytically?

In some cases, fixed points of conjugate functions can be found analytically by setting the input value equal to the output value and solving for the variable. However, in more complex functions, numerical methods may need to be used to approximate the fixed points.

5. Are there any real-world applications of fixed points of conjugate functions?

Yes, fixed points of conjugate functions have many real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and computer science. They are used to model and understand complex systems, make predictions, and solve optimization problems.