How does gravity affect the human body in different positions?

In summary: The force of gravity is acting in the same direction no matter what your position is. However, the surface area of the body that is affected by gravity changes depending on whether you are standing or lying down.
chirumu

Homework Statement

i measured myself before going to sleep and after waking up over several nights and found out I'm ~1.5cm taller in the morning then at night. I know this question is related to human biology, but I'm equally (if not more so) interested in the physics behind the problem i.e. how gravity affects the body.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that cartilage in the body has an elastic / flexible / resilient nature and that gravity causes compression of cartilage in the spinal cord / knees. Gravity on Earth does not change, so the body is exposed to the same force of gravity regardless of wether one is standing or lying down: why then does this difference in height occur?

I'm going to take into account hydrostatic pressure because the body is 60% fluid. So, pressure = F / area. Gravity acts in one direction (downwards) so if you change the surface area for gravity to act on then pressure exerted on the body changes accordingly, i.e. if you lay down at night you increase your surface area for which gravity can act on, pressure on the body decreases and the cartilage of the body is able to expand again.

i feel like there should be more to it. I'm curious if there's anything else to consider here or if I'm completely thrown off :S

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are standing, gravity acts on your vertebrae, compressing your cartilage. This is what causes the loss in height. When you are lying down, gravity still acts downwards. There is no way for gravity to act sideways to force your vertebrae together, which gives time for your cartilage to rebound. Thus, you are taller in the morning, when gravity hasn't had a chance to force your vertebrae together yet.

thankyou for your reply :) !

i understand that gravity is acting downwards with the same force in both cases (and not horizontally), but that doesn't explain why the cartilage expands when the body is lying down if the force of gravity is exactly the same as when the body is standing. The independant variable here is the position of the body. I feel it is because when you are standing gravity acts downwards on a vertical spinal column. Then when you are lying down its acting on a horizontal spinal column.

http://www.hergoods.info/avatar1.jpg When you are standing, gravity acts on your vertebrae, compressing your cartilage.

Last edited by a moderator:
chirumu said:
thankyou for your reply :) !

i understand that gravity is acting downwards with the same force in both cases (and not horizontally), but that doesn't explain why the cartilage expands when the body is lying down if the force of gravity is exactly the same as when the body is standing. The independant variable here is the position of the body. I feel it is because when you are standing gravity acts downwards on a vertical spinal column. Then when you are lying down its acting on a horizontal spinal column.

That's what I'm getting at.

1. How does gravity affect the human body?

Gravity affects the human body in a variety of ways. It pulls our bodies towards the center of the Earth, giving us weight and keeping us grounded. It also affects our blood circulation, as gravity helps blood flow from the top of our body to the bottom. Additionally, gravity plays a role in our bone density, as our bones become stronger to support our weight.

2. Can gravity cause health problems?

Yes, gravity can cause health problems for humans. Extended periods of time spent in a microgravity environment, such as in space, can lead to muscle and bone loss, as well as changes in the cardiovascular system. On the other hand, prolonged exposure to high levels of gravity, such as in a centrifuge, can also have negative effects on the body.

3. How does gravity affect aging?

Gravity plays a role in the aging process of the human body. As we age, our skin and muscles become less elastic, making us more susceptible to the effects of gravity. This can result in sagging skin, wrinkles, and loss of muscle tone. Additionally, the force of gravity on our joints can contribute to wear and tear, leading to joint pain and stiffness.

4. Can humans adapt to different levels of gravity?

Yes, humans have the ability to adapt to different levels of gravity. However, it requires time and effort for the body to adjust. In a microgravity environment, astronauts experience changes in their bone density and muscle strength, but through exercise and specialized training programs, they can minimize these effects. Similarly, individuals who travel to areas with higher or lower levels of gravity may experience temporary discomfort, but their bodies will eventually adapt.

5. How does gravity affect astronauts?

Astronauts experience significant changes to their bodies due to the effects of microgravity in space. These changes include muscle and bone loss, changes in blood circulation, and changes in the cardiovascular system. They also experience a decrease in the sense of balance and coordination due to the lack of gravity. To combat these effects, astronauts must undergo strict exercise regimens and specialized training programs while in space and during their return to Earth.