Formulas for Transformer Calculations

In summary, the speaker is an EET student who is struggling with their professor's teaching style. They are currently trying to complete a take-home test on transformer calculations and are having difficulty finding reliable resources. They express their desire for formulas to help them understand the material better, but not to cheat on the test. They also mention a bookmarked website that may be helpful for their studies.
tyir1839
I am an EET student. The professor I have is not very thorough in his examples and if you can't keep up with him or have x-ray vision to see through him to the board while he is working the problems then you just don't get the information needed. That said, I am currently trying to do a take home test that involves calculating values for transformers, with hardly any notes and trying to teach myself through the book...which by the way is as mixed up as the problems and notes that I do have. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find formulas for doing just about any calculation on single and three-phase transformers. I'm not trying to cheat and don't want answers to my test, I am just trying to give myself a fighting chance at passing a class that I am currently failing miserably.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have this site bookmarked: http://www.federalpacific.com/university/university.html

Good luck.

1. What is the formula for calculating the turns ratio of a transformer?

The formula for turns ratio is Np/Ns = Ep/Es, where Np is the number of turns on the primary coil, Ns is the number of turns on the secondary coil, Ep is the voltage on the primary side, and Es is the voltage on the secondary side.

2. How do you calculate the power rating of a transformer?

The power rating of a transformer is calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is the power in watts, V is the voltage, and I is the current. In a transformer, the power on the primary side is equal to the power on the secondary side, so the formula can also be written as Pp = Ps.

3. What is the formula for determining the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer is calculated using the formula Efficiency = (Ps/Pp) x 100%, where Ps is the power on the secondary side and Pp is the power on the primary side. This formula takes into account any energy losses that occur during the transformation process.

4. How do you calculate the inductance of a transformer?

The formula for calculating the inductance of a transformer is L = N^2 x μ x A/l, where N is the number of turns, μ is the permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and l is the length of the core. This formula is known as the inductance factor.

5. What is the formula for determining the maximum voltage in a transformer?

The maximum voltage in a transformer can be calculated using the formula Vmax = 4.44 x N x f x Bmax x Ac, where N is the number of turns, f is the frequency, Bmax is the maximum flux density, and Ac is the cross-sectional area of the core. This formula takes into account the maximum voltage that can be induced in the secondary coil without causing the core to saturate.