Download the free PF App for iPhone/Android phones

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new PF App is based off the TapaTalk app, is very similar, and supports tex and list subscribed threads. There is a problem with not supporting LaTeX and I can't seem to find a way to list my subscribed threads. However, the subscribed threads are in Favorites. The app looks clean and supports Dark mode. There is a bug with white space around quotes, and the logo is not shown when starting the app. The app has been updated to version 2.4.4.1 and has 85 installs in under a week.
trollcast said:
The new update seems to have broken it for me as it now won't load at all from the icon on my desktop and it only starts about 1 in 5 times if I click on a notification?

hmmmm perhaps try a fresh reinstall. I haven't gotten any new crash reports.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:

I'll try deleting the old app data and then uninstalling it and the reinstall.

It doesn't crash it just freezes at the start up screen, I left it for about 30 minutes yesterday and it didn't load up anything.

Turn off notifications?

Is there a way to turn off the notifications? I can't get them to stop and it keeps my tablet from going to sleep. I've had to uninstall the app.

PeterDonis said:
Is there a way to turn off the notifications? I can't get them to stop and it keeps my tablet from going to sleep. I've had to uninstall the app.

Next release there will be notification control. Looking like it will be mid April.

Any plans to work on a version optimized for tablets?

[Quadratic];4322833 said:
Any plans to work on a version optimized for tablets?

The apps work nicely in tablets already :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
The apps work nicely in tablets already :)

It works, that's for sure, but if you have a tablet and compare an app like Tapatalk with its tablet variant Tapatalk HD you can see how much friendlier the tablet optimized UI can be. The PF app is free of course and I'm not trying to come off as ungrateful, but this subforum is for feedback and suggestions after all.

Also it would be swell if the app could render latex but I'm not sure how difficult that would be to implement.

Sent from my Nexus 10 ;)

[Quadratic];4322854 said:
It works, that's for sure, but if you have a tablet and compare an app like Tapatalk with its tablet variant Tapatalk HD you can see how much friendlier the tablet optimized UI can be. The PF app is free of course and I'm not trying to come off as ungrateful, but this subforum is for feedback and suggestions after all.

PF App will be getting the HD features in May. Thanks for your interest :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF App will be getting the HD features in May. Thanks for your interest :)

And thank you for your hard work. I may not post much but I've been a registered member for going on 8 years and PF is my go-to site for science discussion, and it is an invaluable resource for students like myself. I'm very thankful for what you and the staff here have done and offer to the rest of us free of charge. Keep up the great work and I'll keep coming back.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Next release there will be notification control. Looking like it will be mid April.

Great, I'll keep an eye out for it!

PeterDonis said:
Great, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Actually Peter, I just uploaded a new version yesterday. Go ahead and check it out :)

I keep getting a "duplicate provider authority" error when trying to update. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck. I'm running android 4.2.2 if that matters.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Actually Peter, I just uploaded a new version yesterday. Go ahead and check it out :)

I downloaded and installed it and saw the setting to turn off notifications. So far it's been behaving fine with that setting checked. Thanks for the update!

Greg Bernhardt said:

I should have posted how I solved it.

I tried reinstalling and at first it worked but then it started freezing again after it applied the update.

So I I went into Setting -> Backup & Restore and unchecked the Automatic restore option. (This stops android reusing the applications old data and settings)

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled and its been running fine since that.

One other thing I've noticed: when viewing threads, the name of the poster for each post is not shown, only the avatar. Having the name visible would help a lot.

2.4.6.5 for Android has been released. Mostly bug fixes and a few added features like "In App Registration".

New iPhone update should be ready next week.

is the gold membership deal still on?

tade said:
is the gold membership deal still on?

Indeed! PM me the name you used in the review.

New update for the iPhone app. I'll be releasing another update later this week with the new graphics if you want to wait.

Now all we need is an app for the PC. :rofl: cos it might be faster if it weren't browser based.

And we could have live updates

Last edited:
greswd said:
Now all we need is an app for the PC. :rofl:

cos it might be faster if it weren't browser based.

and we could have live updates
Please do not multipost.

I may just be stupid, but when I follow a link from the upper left menu to thread I'm following, there doesn't seem to be an easy way back to the home forum page. If I open the app, it's easy, but the 'back' button just closes the app if I followed a link. I may just be an idiot and even if I'm not, this isn't a huge issue; it would save me about 8 seconds a day though.

DrewD said:
I may just be stupid, but when I follow a link from the upper left menu to thread I'm following, there doesn't seem to be an easy way back to the home forum page. If I open the app, it's easy, but the 'back' button just closes the app if I followed a link. I may just be an idiot and even if I'm not, this isn't a huge issue; it would save me about 8 seconds a day though.

For which OS?

Greg Bernhardt said:
For which OS?

Android (4.2) on a Google Nexus7

Hey from Android ;)
I'm going to rate the application as soon as I get more familiar with it. So far so good!

fluidistic said:
Hey from Android ;)
I'm going to rate the application as soon as I get more familiar with it. So far so good!

Yaaaay! Sounds good!

I downloaded the app today for our new phone. Seems to function good. The status of my subscribed threads seems to be out of synch with the web version but, I like the look-ahead that shows what the latest person posted.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but how do you start a new thread when using the Droid version? I'm able to reply to posts, but haven't figured out how to start a new thread.

berkeman said:
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but how do you start a new thread when using the Droid version? I'm able to reply to posts, but haven't figured out how to start a new thread.
It's on the phone's menu button. You have to be in a forum where you can post and it will show up.

Borg said:
It's on the phone's menu button. You have to be in a forum where you can post and it will show up.

Thanks very much! Don't know how I missed it before. :redface:

berkeman said:
Thanks very much! Don't know how I missed it before. :redface:
This is our first smart phone so I have to be methodical to figure out anything. That's probably the only reason that I found it. :smile:

I've rated it 4 stars (would have been 5 if we could read latex) and I left a review comment.
However I don't know how to access to reviews. I only see mine when I'm logged in my google account and see none when I log out.
Also I don't know how many months of gold membership I still have, it may be infinite so adding 6 months of gold membership might be a waste of time for a mentor/Greg.
Edit: I'm having a slight "problem" when I click on "who's online". The list of people appears but it freezes for about 15 seconds and unfreezes for less than 1 second, over and over. Anyone else having this issue?
Edit2: I don't know how to vote in pools with the application.

Last edited:
I'm having issues with it and polls: I can't see them. This is on the Android app.

When will there be TeX support on the android? I love this app but the only issue for me is that I that lack TeX support renders equations unreadable on the tablet forcing me to revert back to the laptop. Thanks!

<h2>1. What is the PF App and what does it do?</h2><p>The PF App is a mobile application available for both iPhone and Android phones. It is a free app that allows you to easily access your PF account, track your workouts, and find nearby PF locations.</p><h2>2. How do I download the PF App on my phone?</h2><p>To download the PF App, simply go to the App Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android. Search for "PF App" and click on the download or install button. The app will then be downloaded and installed on your phone.</p><h2>3. Do I need a PF membership to use the app?</h2><p>Yes, you will need a PF membership to use the app. You can either sign up for a membership through the app or use your existing membership information to log in.</p><h2>4. Can I track my workouts with the PF App?</h2><p>Yes, the PF App has a workout tracker feature that allows you to log your workouts, set goals, and track your progress. You can also sync your workouts with other fitness tracking apps for a more comprehensive view of your fitness journey.</p><h2>5. Is the PF App available in all countries?</h2><p>The PF App is currently only available in the United States and Canada. We are working on expanding to other countries in the future, so stay tuned for updates!</p>

1. What is the PF App and what does it do?

The PF App is a mobile application available for both iPhone and Android phones. It is a free app that allows you to easily access your PF account, track your workouts, and find nearby PF locations.

2. How do I download the PF App on my phone?

To download the PF App, simply go to the App Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android. Search for "PF App" and click on the download or install button. The app will then be downloaded and installed on your phone.

3. Do I need a PF membership to use the app?

Yes, you will need a PF membership to use the app. You can either sign up for a membership through the app or use your existing membership information to log in.

4. Can I track my workouts with the PF App?

Yes, the PF App has a workout tracker feature that allows you to log your workouts, set goals, and track your progress. You can also sync your workouts with other fitness tracking apps for a more comprehensive view of your fitness journey.

5. Is the PF App available in all countries?

The PF App is currently only available in the United States and Canada. We are working on expanding to other countries in the future, so stay tuned for updates!