Understanding Partially Ordered Sets: General and Specific Elements Explained

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of representing a set of points in a partially ordered set by its most general and specific elements. The participants express difficulty understanding this concept and question its applicability in certain scenarios. It is also mentioned that this concept is part of a specialized vocabulary and may not be widely known. The conversation also briefly touches on a specific document that discusses the Version Space Method in relation to this concept.
EvLer
I came across this sentence in one article and can't make too much sense out of it:
"... the set of points in a partially ordered set can be represented by its most general and its most specific elements".

Any explanation is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
that is just horse s**t. does that help? i.e. get a better book.

I wouldn't say it quite the way Mathwonk did but I can't make anything out of it either. In particular, the elements of a partially ordered set are not necessarily points!
Is it possible that this is a in a specific application where "general and specific elements" has a given definition?

You referring to http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/C/C96/C96-2149.pdf

The Version Space Method
There are a variety of methods in the AI literature
for learning from exarnples. For handling our
task, we have chosen tile so called "version space"
method (also known as the "candidate elimination
algorithm"), cf. (Mitchell, 1982). So we need to
have a look at this method.
Tile basic idea is, that ill all representation languages
for the rule space, there is a partial ordering
of expressions according to their generality.
This fact allows a compact representation of the
set of plausible rules (=hypotheses) in the rule space,
since the set of points in a partially ordered
set can be represented by its most general and its
most specific elements.
Tile set of most general
rules is called the G-set, and tile set of most specific
rules tile S-set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's trying to say something like: to keep track of a partially ordered set that has finitely long chains only, then all we need to do is keep track of the ends of all the chains, ie the maxima and minima.

Ah- thanks to both of you- that is a very specialized vocabulary, then!

Is that a well known journal or something? How the hell did you (Cronxeh) recognize the original document from a couple of obscure lines. ( yoda? )

Possibly by googling.

He googled for the phrase that EvLer provided.

Last edited:
I see...pretty crafty, for a minute there I was thoroughly impressed.

yes.. impressed you were indeed :rofl:

Didn't realize that meaning was so context-dependent.
Thanks much.

1. What is a partially ordered set?

A partially ordered set, also known as a poset, is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary relation that is reflexive, transitive, and antisymmetric. This relation is used to compare elements and determine if one element is greater than, less than, or equal to another element.

2. How is a partially ordered set different from a totally ordered set?

A partially ordered set does not require all elements to be comparable, while a totally ordered set has a strict ordering between all elements. This means that in a partially ordered set, there may be elements that are not related to each other, while in a totally ordered set, all elements are related.

3. What is a maximal element in a partially ordered set?

A maximal element in a partially ordered set is an element that is greater than or equal to all other elements in the set. It is not necessarily the largest element in the set, but it is the largest element in terms of the partial order relation.

4. Can a partially ordered set have multiple maximal elements?

Yes, a partially ordered set can have multiple maximal elements. This occurs when there are elements in the set that are not comparable to each other, so there is no single maximal element that is greater than or equal to all other elements.

5. How are partially ordered sets used in real life?

Partially ordered sets are used in various fields of mathematics, such as order theory, lattice theory, and graph theory. They also have practical applications in computer science, economics, and decision-making processes where there is a partial ordering of choices or preferences.