What physics and math needed to start some research in astronomy

In summary: For example, you could compare the properties of different galaxies, or look for patterns in the data.In summary, an expert summarizer of content would say that the person is in high school and is interested in astronomy. They will need to take fundamentals of physics with calculus 1/2, for math calculus 2 and calculus 3, and possibly astronomy 1/2. They will need to research what level of math and physics is needed to use the data from NASA's databases. They would also recommend that the person learn Python for programming.
andrewkg
Alright well I am in high school so my resources are limited as far as sophisticated telescope. Although I can ask around via email to see if there is any way to find time on more sophisticated technology. As far as what levels of math and physics I am at next fall I will be taking fundamentals of physics with calculus 1/2, for math calculus 2 and calculus 3 and possibly astronomy 1/2. I can study on my own as well I have a text on astronomy. I know of a few good texts on astrophysics, high energy astrophysics and osculations and waves. What I mainly want to know is what are the levels of each that I will need. Which math books which physics and astronomy books etc. Also my preferred area would be cosmological or high energy areas such as GRBs. I do understand that this is all a far shot and I should wait until college, but I just want to get an idea of what is needed. There is also a science fair that I would like to enter two years from now that I would like to start on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also does anyone know of what computer languages I should learn for simulations. I've read python and FORTRAN are ok. Does anyone know of a good way to learn the basics in these.

google "Thinking like a computer scientist python". It's a great read.

Which site there was several sites? Or is it the purple book with a bird?

yeah the purple book with the bird. You can download a free PDF from the website (fully legit). Python is a great language to learn programming and it's used all over the place.

Sweet thank you. Do you know of any good compilers for python?

That's awesome. Thank you again.

You can do all kinds of research/analysis using NASA's databases. There are images, spectroscopic analyses, and other goodies hidden there. You don't need your own telescope - we have our own, and they are pretty good ones.

Really! Well that's perfect. Is it just raw data or is it from peoples research?
And do you know of what level of math and physics is needed to use this data for actual astronomical research?

andrewkg said:
Really! Well that's perfect. Is it just raw data or is it from peoples research?
And do you know of what level of math and physics is needed to use this data for actual astronomical research?
You don't need a lot. What you will need is the time to mine the data and put it together in a form that allows it to be used. If you can get a lot of data into a tabular format, there is a lot that you can do with it, even with only basic math/dB tools.

1. What specific physics concepts are necessary for conducting research in astronomy?

The most important physics concepts for conducting research in astronomy include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, knowledge of relativity and optics is also crucial in understanding the behavior of celestial objects.

2. What level of mathematics proficiency is required for research in astronomy?

Astronomy research involves complex mathematical calculations and analysis, so a strong foundation in advanced mathematics is necessary. This includes calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics.

3. Are there any specific programming languages or software that are commonly used in astronomy research?

Yes, many astronomers use programming languages such as Python and IDL to analyze data and create simulations. Software packages like MATLAB and Mathematica are also commonly used for data analysis and modeling.

4. How important is knowledge of astrophysics in conducting research in astronomy?

Astrophysics is a crucial aspect of astronomy research, as it provides the theoretical framework for understanding the physical processes and phenomena observed in the universe. Understanding astrophysics allows researchers to make predictions and develop theories to explain astronomical observations.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are necessary for success in astronomy research?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, successful researchers in astronomy also possess critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively. Strong communication and data analysis skills are also important for presenting and interpreting research findings.