Solve Logistic Equation Explicity - Help Needed

• Thread starter Richter915
  • Start date
In summary, you are having difficulty differentiating an equation. You need to find the function that, when you take the derivative of it, gives you that equation. You need to find P(t) and then use log rules to combine the logs to get A.
Richter915
Hi. I'm having some difficulty with a couple of questions, but mainly a problem differentiating an equation:

dP kP (1-P/K)(1-m/P)
-- =
dT

it says to solve it explicitly but I have no idea how to differentiate explicitly.

If you could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated. Also, if you tell me how to insert the the math operations so it looks normal, it'd be appreciated. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{dP}{dt} = kP(1-\frac{P}{K})(1-\frac{m}{P}) [/tex]

Well unless you left something out, with respect to time, nothing on the right hand side changes, it is all constant. Derivative of a constant is 0.

Anyhow if I am mistaken, explicit derivative is the fancy way of saying 'take the derivative'.

no, you are mistaken. I have to find the function that, when you take the derivative of it, gives you that equation. I pretty much have to find what P(t) equals. Thanks anyhow. Oh ya, m, K, and k are constants.

Gah nevermind P isn't constant. I can't help you.

ya I was just going to point it out...I'll try and post what I have so far and maybe someone can help me from there

First, use algebra to show that:

[tex]kP(1-\frac{P}{K})(1-\frac{m}{P}) = -\frac{k}{K}(P - K)(P - m)[/tex]

The differential equation is then:

[tex]\frac{1}{(P - K)(P - m)} dP = -k/K dt[/tex]

Split the integrand on the left hand side using partial fractions, to get:

[tex][\frac{1}{(K-m)(P-K)} + \frac{1}{(m-K)(P - m)}] dP = -\frac{k}{K} dt[/tex]

Integrate both sides...

[tex]\frac{\ln (P-K)}{(K-m)} - \frac{\ln (P - m)}{K - m} = -\frac{k}{K}t + c1[/tex]

Use log rules to combine the logs...

[tex]\frac{1}{K-m} \ln [\frac{P-K}{P-m}] = -\frac{k}{K}t + c1[/tex]

Multiply by (K - m) and take exponentials of both sides...

[tex]\frac{P-K}{P-m} = A \exp (-k + km/K)t[/tex]

Note that A, here, is a constant of integration, which must be determined from the boundary conditions. From here, it is simple algebra to get P as the subject. Doing that gives:

[tex]P(t) = \frac{Am \exp [(-k + km/K)t] - K]}{A \exp[(-k + km/K)t]}[/tex]

If you know one value of P(t), you can determine A, and you're done.

what I have so far is:

[tex] dP (K/(K-P)(P-M)) = kt + c [/tex]

no idea where I go from here so...help me out please.

wow...thank you...hah.

question...why is it -k/K in the first part

It follows from the algebra. Check the first line of my working.

The way you split the constants between sides of the equation is arbitrary, so my way is not the only way to get to the solution. If you want to leave K on the dP side, as you have done a few posts above this one, that's ok. The working will be a little different, by the answer should be the same.

1. What is a logistic equation?

A logistic equation is a mathematical formula that models the growth of a population over time. It takes into account factors such as the initial population, growth rate, and carrying capacity (maximum population size that can be sustained in a given environment).

2. How do you solve a logistic equation explicitly?

To solve a logistic equation explicitly, you need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the dependent variable (usually represented by y) on one side of the equation. This will give you an explicit formula for y in terms of the independent variable (usually represented by t or x).

3. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit solution to a logistic equation?

An explicit solution to a logistic equation is a formula that directly gives the value of the dependent variable (y) for a given value of the independent variable (t or x). On the other hand, an implicit solution involves finding the relationship between y and t or x without directly solving for y.

4. How is a logistic equation used in real life?

Logistic equations are commonly used in fields such as biology, economics, and population studies to model the growth of populations or the spread of diseases. They can also be used in business to predict the growth of a company or the demand for a product over time.

5. What are some challenges in solving a logistic equation?

One of the main challenges in solving a logistic equation is accurately determining the values of the parameters (initial population, growth rate, carrying capacity) as even small changes in these values can greatly affect the results. Additionally, solving for an explicit formula can be complex and may require advanced algebraic techniques.