Electric AC Generator: Understand Magnetic Fields & Brushes

In summary, when a single flat coil rotates in a uniform magnetic field, there is no current when the coil is perpendicular to the field as its area is not changing at that instant. The purpose of brushes is to connect the rotating coil to the stationary leads, preventing them from twisting around each other. Alternatively, permanent magnets and a fixed loop can be used with rotating magnets instead.
genevievelily
Hi! I have been studying AC generators. I am confused about why there is no current when the armature is perpendicular to the magnetic field (when it is vertical). Also, what is the purpose of the brushes? Probably a really obvious answer, but it is confusing me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you considering a single flat coil rotating in a uniform magnetic field? If so, when the coil is in the position you describe its area is perpendicular to the field at this instant, so its area projected on to a plane at right angles to the field is a maximum and, at this instant, not changing. So the magnetic flux linked with the coil is not changing. So there is no induced emf.

Can't think why there should be brushes, unless there is also a commutator to turn the ac generator into a dc generator. Alternatively we're dealing with a different sort of ac generator from the simple type I assumed in the first paragraph.

Philip Wood said:
Can't think why there should be brushes

If the magnets are stationary and the loop of wire rotates, you need some mechanism to keep the leads to the loop from twisting around themselves ad infinitum, no?

Alternatively, you could use permanent magnets and a fixed loop, and rotate the magnets instead.

I was being stupid. Not for the first time.

Don't worry. We all end up wearing the dunce cap sometimes, myself included. :uhh:

1. What is an electric AC generator?

An electric AC generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by using a rotating coil of wire (or armature) within a magnetic field to induce an alternating current (AC) in the wire.

2. How does an electric AC generator work?

An electric AC generator works by utilizing the principles of electromagnetism. When the armature rotates within a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an alternating current in the wire. This current can then be used to power electrical devices.

3. What is the role of magnetic fields in an electric AC generator?

Magnetic fields are crucial in the operation of an electric AC generator. The magnetic field created by the generator's stationary magnets interacts with the magnetic field of the rotating armature, causing the induction of an alternating current in the wire.

4. What are the brushes in an electric AC generator and how do they work?

Brushes are conductive pieces of material that make contact with the rotating armature in an electric AC generator. They are responsible for transferring the induced current from the armature to the external circuit. As the armature rotates, the brushes maintain contact with the armature, allowing for a continuous flow of current.

5. What are the practical applications of electric AC generators?

Electric AC generators have a wide range of practical applications, including powering homes, businesses, and industries. They are also used in renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants, to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. Additionally, electric AC generators are used in automobiles to power the vehicle's electrical systems.