Number theory - show divergence of ∑1/p for prime p

In summary, the conversation discussed the proof of the theorem that the sum of the reciprocals of primes is divergent. The approach used was to rewrite the sum as a product and then apply the fact that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms. It was shown that the infinite product of terms greater than 1 is divergent, which implies that the sum of reciprocals is also divergent. However, it was later corrected that this approach was wrong and a different method was used to complete the proof.
drjohnsonn
1. show that the sum of. The reciprocals of the primes is divergent. I am reposying this here under homework and deleting the inital improperly placed post
2. Theorem i use but don't prove because its assumed thw student has already lim a^1/n = 1.
The gist of the approach I took is that∑1/p = log(e^∑1/p) = log(∏e^1/p) and logx→ ∞ as x→∞.
Proof outline: let ∑1/p = s(x). (...SO I can write this easily on tablet) and note that e^s(x) diverges since e^1/p > 1 for any p and the infinite product where every term exceeds 1 is divergent. Then loge^s(x) diverges as logs as x→∞ would. Thus, since log(e^s(x)= s(x), the sum is found to be divergent

Homework Statement

Edit: this is wrong and i finished the proof using very little ofwhati tried here so no need to respond

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
drjohnsonn said:
the infinite product where every term exceeds 1 is divergent.
Not so.
Any infinite sum of positive terms ∑an could be written as ln(∏ean)

Indeed. That whopper of an error was pointed out. Can't believe i did that but alas, excitement of an easy solution was blinding.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers and their patterns. It involves the study of prime numbers, divisibility, and prime factorization.

2. What is the significance of the sum ∑1/p for prime p?

The sum ∑1/p for prime p is known as the harmonic series for prime numbers. It is a key concept in number theory and has been extensively studied by mathematicians. Its study can lead to a better understanding of the distribution of prime numbers.

3. How is the divergence of ∑1/p for prime p shown?

The divergence of ∑1/p for prime p is shown using the divergence test, which states that if the limit of a series is not equal to zero, then the series diverges. In the case of ∑1/p for prime p, the limit is equal to infinity, thus proving its divergence.

4. What is the connection between the divergence of ∑1/p for prime p and the distribution of prime numbers?

The divergence of ∑1/p for prime p is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers. It is a result of the fact that there are infinitely many prime numbers. As the sum of the reciprocals of prime numbers increases, the gaps between the prime numbers also increase, leading to a less uniform distribution.

5. How does the divergence of ∑1/p for prime p impact other areas of mathematics?

The divergence of ∑1/p for prime p has implications in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, combinatorics, and probability theory. It is also used in cryptography and the development of efficient algorithms for prime factorization. Additionally, its study has led to the discovery of new connections and results in other branches of mathematics.