Trapezium rule, what does dx represent

• Thread starter Rochefort
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary: The original problem is written exactly like that. My bad. I was typing it wrong. In summary, the "dx" in the definite integral associated with the trapezium rule represents the differential element of the trapezoid on the x-axis. However, it should not appear in the approximation of definite integrals using the trapezium rule. Additionally, for the trapezium rule, Δx represents the spacing of the abscissas while y represents the ordinates or heights of the function being integrated. The use of (dx)^2 in the integral is nonsensical and it is possible that the original problem was written incorrectly.
Rochefort

Homework Statement

What does the "dx", associated with the definite integral represent for the trapezium rule? Could dx=h? (the heights of the trapeziums)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not entirely sure what you're asking here. If you are referring to the trapezium rule for approximating definite integrals, then dx should not appear in the approximation at all.

If you are asking what dx is an "analog" to in the physical trapezoid, well, nothing really. It is a differential element of the line of the trapezoid on the x-axis, I suppose..

It's seems to me that dx represents the heights and the rest of the definite integral represents
{2(y0+yn)+(y1+...+yn-1)}

If it was (dx)^ 2 what change would it make to the rule?

The point of the "trapezoid rule", explained in any Calculus textbook, is that instead of approximating f(x) by a constant (as is done in the "Euler" rule), we approximate it by the straight line from [itex]x_0, f(x_0))[/itex] to the "next point", [itex](x_0+ h, f(x_0+ h))[/itex]. In that case, rather than rectangles we have trapezoid where the two "bases" are [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] and the other is [itex]f(x_0+ h)[/itex]. Yes, the distance along the x-axis, from [itex]x_0[/itex] to [itex]x_0+ h[/itex], which is, of course, h, is the "height" of the trapezoid. ("h" in the trapezoid rule is NOT "dx"- you should be thinking "[itex]\Delta x[/itex]" instead.)

By the way, if you use an "Euler" rule, always choosing the value of the function at the left hand end of the interval as the height of the rectangle, then do another "Euler" rule, always choosing the value of the function at the right end of the interval as the height of the rectangle, and then average the two answers, you get exactly the result of the "trapezoid" rule. Draw a few examples to convince yourself of that.

I'm trying to manipulate
/lambda
| sqrt(1+cos(x)) (dx)^2
/ 0
Into the form described by the trapezium rule, how would I do that?

Unless this is just something I know nothing about, I would say having dx squared is completely nonsensical.

Rochefort said:
I'm trying to manipulate
/lambda
| sqrt(1+cos(x)) (dx)^2
/ 0
Into the form described by the trapezium rule, how would I do that?

It's not clear what the (dx)^2 represents in your integral. Where did this integral come from.

As a point of information, for the trapezoidal rule, Δx represents the spacing of the abscissas, while y represents the ordinates, or heights, of the function being integrated.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what the (dx)^2 represents in your integral. Where did this integral come from.

/lambda
| Sqrt(1+cos(x)) dx= (u)
/0

u(dx)=m This is because "u" represents mass per unit length

Therefore I said

m= /lambda
|Sqrt(1+cos(x))(dx)^2
/0

Rochefort said:
/lambda
| Sqrt(1+cos(x)) dx= (u)
/0

u(dx)=m This is because "u" represents mass per unit length

Therefore I said

m= /lambda
|Sqrt(1+cos(x))(dx)^2
/0
Do you know Calculus?

Is you original problem written something like the following?

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{\!0}^{\!\!1}\sqrt{1+\cos(x)}\,dx = (u)[/itex]

It is not clear to me why some of these parentheses are present (in (u) and u(dx)), but it seems to me that he says

\begin{align*}
m &= udx, \\
u &= \int_0^{\lambda} \sqrt{1 + \cos x} \, dx,
\end{align*}

whence

\begin{equation*}
m = \int_0^{\lambda} \sqrt{1 + \cos x} \, (dx)^2.
\end{equation*}

This is, of course, nonsensical. Taking a stab in the dark, perhaps it started as

\begin{align*}
dm &= udx, \\
u &= \sqrt{1 + \cos x},
\end{align*}

but I could be completely wrong.

Quesadilla said:
\begin{align*}
dm &= udx, \\
u &= \sqrt{1 + \cos x},
\end{align*}

but I could be completely wrong.

You are right!

What is the Trapezium rule?

The Trapezium rule is a mathematical method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into trapeziums and summing up their areas.

How does the Trapezium rule work?

The Trapezium rule works by approximating the area under a curve using a series of trapeziums. The rule involves dividing the interval between two points on the curve into smaller intervals, calculating the area of each trapezium, and then summing up all the areas to approximate the total area under the curve.

What does dx represent in the Trapezium rule?

In the Trapezium rule, dx represents the width of each trapezium. It is the distance between two consecutive points on the x-axis that are used to calculate the area of a trapezium.

Why is the Trapezium rule used?

The Trapezium rule is used because it provides a simple and efficient way to approximate the area under a curve. It is also easy to implement and can be used to approximate the area of any curve, regardless of its shape or complexity.

What are the limitations of the Trapezium rule?

One limitation of the Trapezium rule is that it can only provide an approximation of the area under a curve, not the exact value. The accuracy of the approximation also depends on the number of trapeziums used, with a higher number of trapeziums resulting in a more accurate approximation. Additionally, the Trapezium rule may not work well for curves with sharp turns or irregular shapes.