Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula

Thanks a lot!In summary, the proof by induction shows that as ##h## gets smaller, the term in equation (1) converges to ##[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^2}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]##, providing a clear explanation for the given condition.
mahler1
I have doubts about the proof given in Stein's complex analysis textbook from the following Cauchy's integral formula corollary:

Corollary: If ##f## is holomorphic in an open set ##Ω##, then ##f## has infinitely many complex derivatives in ##Ω##. Moreover, if ##C⊂Ω## is a circle whose interior is also contained in ##Ω##, then

##f^{(n)}(z)=\dfrac{n!}{2πi}∫_C \dfrac{f(ζ)}{(ζ−z)^{n+1}}dζ## for all ##z## in the interior of ##C##
I'll write the complete proof copied from Stein's textbook and then I'll ask my question:

Proof The proof is by induction on ##n##, the case ##n=0## being simply the Cauchy integral formula. Suppose that ##f## has up to ##n−1## complex derivatives and that ##f^{(n−1)}(z)=\dfrac{(n−1)!}{2πi}∫_C \dfrac{f(ζ)}{(ζ−z)^n}dζ##.

Now for ##h## small, the difference quotient for ##f^{((n−1)}## takes the form

(1) ##f^{(n−1)}(z+h)−f^{(n−1)}(z)h=\dfrac{(n−1)!}{2πi}∫_C f(ζ)\dfrac{1}{h}[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z−h)^n}-\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^n}]dζ##
We now recall that ##A^n−B^n=(A−B)[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}]##
With ##A=\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z−h)}## and ##B=\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)}##, we see that the term in brackets in equation (1) is equal to

##\dfrac{h}{(ζ−z−h)(ζ−z)}[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}]##. But observe that if ##h## is small, then ##z+h## and ##z## stay at a finite distance from the boundary circle ##C##, so in the limit as ##h## tends to ##0##, we find that the quotient converges to

##\dfrac{(n−1)!}{2πi}∫_C f(ζ)[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^2}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]dζ=\dfrac{n!}{2πi}∫_C \dfrac{f(ζ)}{(ζ−z)^{n+1}}dζ##,

which completes the induction argument and proves the theorem.

My question is: how is it that ##\dfrac{h}{(ζ−z−h)(ζ−z)}[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}]## converges to ##[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^2}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]## given the condition of ##h## being sufficiently small?

I've tried to manipulate the first expression in order to get to the latter but I couldn't arrive to anything. I would be greatly appreciate if someone could clearly explain me this.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
I have doubts about the proof given in Stein's complex analysis textbook from the following Cauchy's integral formula corollary:

Corollary: If ##f## is holomorphic in an open set ##Ω##, then ##f## has infinitely many complex derivatives in ##Ω##. Moreover, if ##C⊂Ω## is a circle whose interior is also contained in ##Ω##, then

##f^{(n)}(z)=\dfrac{n!}{2πi}∫_C \dfrac{f(ζ)}{(ζ−z)^{n+1}}dζ## for all ##z## in the interior of ##C##
I'll write the complete proof copied from Stein's textbook and then I'll ask my question:

Proof The proof is by induction on ##n##, the case ##n=0## being simply the Cauchy integral formula. Suppose that ##f## has up to ##n−1## complex derivatives and that ##f^{(n−1)}(z)=\dfrac{(n−1)!}{2πi}∫_C \dfrac{f(ζ)}{(ζ−z)^n}dζ##.

Now for ##h## small, the difference quotient for ##f^{((n−1)}## takes the form

(1) ##f^{(n−1)}(z+h)−f^{(n−1)}(z)h=\dfrac{(n−1)!}{2πi}∫_C f(ζ)\dfrac{1}{h}[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z−h)^n}-\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^n}]dζ##
We now recall that ##A^n−B^n=(A−B)[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}]##
With ##A=\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z−h)}## and ##B=\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)}##, we see that the term in brackets in equation (1) is equal to

##\dfrac{h}{(ζ−z−h)(ζ−z)}[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}]##. But observe that if ##h## is small, then ##z+h## and ##z## stay at a finite distance from the boundary circle ##C##, so in the limit as ##h## tends to ##0##, we find that the quotient converges to

##\dfrac{(n−1)!}{2πi}∫_C f(ζ)[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^2}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]dζ=\dfrac{n!}{2πi}∫_C \dfrac{f(ζ)}{(ζ−z)^{n+1}}dζ##,

which completes the induction argument and proves the theorem.

My question is: how is it that ##\dfrac{h}{(ζ−z−h)(ζ−z)}[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}]## converges to ##[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^2}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]## given the condition of ##h## being sufficiently small?

I've tried to manipulate the first expression in order to get to the latter but I couldn't arrive to anything. I would be greatly appreciate if someone could clearly explain me this.

##\frac{h}{(ζ−z−h)(ζ−z)}[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}] \space (1)##

From what I can see, the ##h## in the numerator of this expression will first cancel the ##\frac{1}{h}## term in the integrand.

As ##h## gets small, ##(1) → [\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)(ζ−z)}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]##.

If you plug in ##A## and ##B## into the formula for ##A^n - B^n##, what is the result if ##h## is small?

EDIT: As another hint, take a look at the first two terms ##A^{n−1} + A^{n−2}B## and the last two terms ##AB^{n−2} + B^{n−1}##.

If you add the first two terms when ##h## is small, the result is ##\frac{2}{(ζ-z)^{n-1}}##. If you add the last two terms, what do you get? Notice you're really just adding ##\frac{1}{(ζ-z)^{n-1}}## a total of ##n## times.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Zondrina said:
##\frac{h}{(ζ−z−h)(ζ−z)}[A^{n−1}+A^{n−2}B+⋅⋅⋅+AB^{n−2}+B^{n−1}] \space (1)##

From what I can see, the ##h## in the numerator of this expression will first cancel the ##\frac{1}{h}## term in the integrand.

As ##h## gets small, ##(1) → [\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)(ζ−z)}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]##.

If you plug in ##A## and ##B## into the formula for ##A^n - B^n##, what is the result if ##h## is small?

EDIT: As another hint, take a look at the first two terms ##A^{n−1} + A^{n−2}B## and the last two terms ##AB^{n−2} + B^{n−1}##.

If you add the first two terms when ##h## is small, the result is ##\frac{2}{(ζ-z)^{n-1}}##. If you add the last two terms, what do you get? Notice you're really just adding ##\frac{1}{(ζ-z)^{n-1}}## a total of ##n## times.

Oh, what a fool of me, I should have put ##h[\dfrac{1}{(ζ−z)^2}][\dfrac{n}{(ζ−z)^{n−1}}]## but, as you've said, then ##h## will cancel with ##\dfrac{1}{h}##. Thanks for your answer, now I see why it converges to that expression.

1. What is the Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula?

The Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula states that if a function is analytic inside a closed contour, then the value of the function at any point inside the contour can be calculated by integrating the function over the contour.

2. How is the Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula derived?

The Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula is derived from the Cauchy's integral formula, which states that the value of a function at a point is equal to the integral of the function along a closed contour surrounding the point. The Corollary is a direct consequence of this formula.

3. What is the significance of the Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula?

The Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula is significant because it allows for the evaluation of a function at any point inside a closed contour, which is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications. It also demonstrates the powerful relationship between complex analysis and contour integration.

4. Can the Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula be extended to non-analytic functions?

No, the Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula only applies to analytic functions. Non-analytic functions may have singularities or discontinuities inside the contour, which can affect the value of the integral and make the formula invalid.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula?

Yes, the Corollary from Cauchy's integral formula has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. For example, it can be used to solve partial differential equations, calculate areas and volumes, and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits.