Related rates and snowball melting

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionA=4(pi)r^2dA/dt= ((0*r^2)+(4(pi)*2r(dr/dt)) [used the product rule to differentiate with respect to timedA/dt= 4(pi)*2r(dr/dt) [simplified version]We know dA/dt= -10cm^2/min Diameter=11 cm so the radius is 5.5dA/dt=4(pi)2r(dr/dt)dr/dt=(dA/dt)/4(pi)2r [isolate (dr/dt)]dr/
benEE2018

Homework Statement

If a snowball melts so that its surface area decreases at a rate of 10 cm^2/min, find the rate at which the diameter decreases when the diameter is 11 cm.

Homework Equations

I don't know what i am doing wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

A=4(pi)r^2
dA/dt= ((0*r^2)+(4(pi)*2r(dr/dt)) [used the product rule to differentiate with respect to time
dA/dt= 4(pi)*2r(dr/dt) [simplified version]
We know dA/dt= -10cm^2/min
Diameter=11 cm so the radius is 5.5
dA/dt=4(pi)2r(dr/dt)
dr/dt=(dA/dt)/4(pi)2r [isolate (dr/dt)]
dr/dt=(-10cm^2/min)/4(pi)*11
dr/dt=-10/44(pi) but the answer is incorrect any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
benEE2018 said:

Homework Statement

If a snowball melts so that its surface area decreases at a rate of 10 cm^2/min, find the rate at which the diameter decreases when the diameter is 11 cm.

Homework Equations

I don't know what i am doing wrong.

A=4(pi)r^2
dA/dt= ((0*r^2)+(4(pi)*2r(dr/dt)) [used the product rule to differentiate with respect to time
dA/dt= 4(pi)*2r(dr/dt) [simplified version]
We know dA/dt= -10cm^2/min
Diameter=11 cm so the radius is 5.5
dA/dt=4(pi)2r(dr/dt)
dr/dt=(dA/dt)/4(pi)2r [isolate (dr/dt)]
dr/dt=(-10cm^2/min)/4(pi)*11
dr/dt=-10/44(pi) but the answer is incorrect any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

You have found the rate at which the radius changes, ##\frac{dr}{dt}##. If you look again, you'll see that is not what the question is asking you to find.

Edit: From what I can tell, you have done your version of the problem correctly; i.e. if the problem had asked you to find the rate at which the radius changes, you would have the correct answer.

is there another related formula that includes diameter instead of the radius that i am suppose to differentiaite instead of 4(pi)r^2?

the hint for the homework was a=4(pi)r^2 so i know i have to be using that equation to solve the problem

Well, you could use ##D=2r## in one of at least two ways. You can subtitute ##\frac{D}{2}## for ##r## in the hint equation to get ##a=\pi D## and use that for the related rates part. Or you can differentiate ##D=2r## with respect to ##t## to get ##\frac{dD}{dt}=2\frac{dr}{dt}## and use what you've discovered about ##\frac{dr}{dt}## to say something about ##\frac{dD}{dt}##.

One of the key components of being able to successfully work these related rates problems is answering the question, "What is the rate that they're asking me to find, and how do I express that using math notation?" If the problem had said, "Find the rate at which the radius changes when diameter is ##11##cm", I might first write that as ##\frac{dr}{dt}|_{D=11}=?##, which would indicate that I would need some expression on the right whose only unknown is ##D##. Or I could, as you did, realize that ##r=5.5## when ##D=11##, which changes the problem to ##\frac{dr}{dt}|_{r=5.5}=?##, proceed to find ##\frac{dr}{dt}## in terms of ##r## and other known quantities (like you did), and plug ##5.5## in for ##r## (like you did).

thank you very much i differentiated a=4(pi)r^2 with r=D/2 so that when i differentiated the equation i would end up with a dD/dt which was what the problem was asking for. thank you gopher_p for your help i really appreciated it and also your tip was very useful for helping me solve my other homework problems!

benEE2018 said:

A=4(pi)r^2

The product rule is unnecessary in this case. A = constant * r^2, where constant = 4 pi.

It's the chain rule you want here.

1. What is the concept of related rates in the context of snowball melting?

Related rates refer to the mathematical technique used to find the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to another. In the context of snowball melting, this means determining the rate at which the snowball's size decreases over time as it melts.

2. How does the rate of snowball melting change with time?

The rate of snowball melting changes with time because as the snowball melts, its surface area decreases, leading to a decrease in the rate of heat transfer from the environment to the snowball. This results in a slower melting rate as time goes on.

3. What factors affect the rate of snowball melting?

The rate of snowball melting is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the environment, the size and shape of the snowball, and the composition of the snow (e.g. presence of impurities).

4. Can related rates be applied to other objects besides snowballs?

Yes, related rates can be applied to any situation where the rate of change of one quantity is dependent on the rate of change of another quantity. This can include objects such as melting ice cubes, filling water tanks, or the growth of plants.

5. How can related rates be useful in real-world scenarios?

Related rates are useful in real-world scenarios because they allow us to mathematically model and predict the behavior of changing systems. In the case of snowball melting, related rates can help us determine how long it will take for a snowball to completely melt and how quickly we need to consume it before it disappears.