Vector field (rotors and nabla operators)

In summary: I made this calculation here breaking into components and I got the same result. p=0 and \alpha =1/3. How do you know this is wrong?edit: excuse my blindness, that's not the result you get...I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but to calculate ##\vec{r}\cdot \nabla## you just need to apply the operator to a scalar function, i.e. ##\vec{r}\cdot \nabla f(x,y,z) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}x + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}y + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}z##.The issue with the identity you
skrat

Homework Statement

Find ##\alpha ## and ##p## so that ##\nabla \times \vec{A}=0## and ##\nabla \cdot \vec{A}=0##, where in ##\vec{A}=r^{-p}[\vec{n}(\vec{n}\vec{r})-\alpha n^2\vec{r}]## vector ##\vec{n}## is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\nabla \times \vec{A}=0##

##\nabla \times \vec{A}=\nabla \times [r^{-p}\vec{n}(\vec{n}\vec{r})-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\vec{r}]=##
##=r^{-p}(\vec{r}\vec{n})\nabla \times \vec{n}+\nabla(r^{-p}(\vec{r}\vec{n}))\times \vec{n}-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\nabla \times \vec{r}-\nabla(r^{-p}\alpha n^2)\times \vec{r}=##
##=0+[(\vec{r}\vec{n})\nabla r^{-p}+\nabla(\vec{r}\vec{n})r^{-p}]\times \vec{n}-0-[r^{-p}\alpha n^2\nabla \times \vec{r}+\alpha n^2\nabla r^{-p}\times \vec{r}]=##
##=(\vec{r}\vec{n})(-p)r^{-p-2}\vec{r}\times \vec{n}##

##\nabla \cdot \vec{A}=0##

##\nabla \cdot \vec{A}=\nabla [r^{-p}\vec{n}(\vec{n}\vec{r})-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\vec{r}]=##
##=\nabla (r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r}))\vec{n}-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\nabla \vec{r}-\nabla(r^{-p}\alpha n^2)\vec{r}=##
##=(r^{-p}\vec{n}-pr^{-p-2}(\vec{r}\vec{n})\vec{r})\vec{n}-3\alpha n^2 r^{-p}+p\alpha n^2r^{-p-1}##

I know something is wrong, I just don't know what and where :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this mean that from ##\nabla \times \vec{A}=0## we know that ##p=0## and accordingly from the second equation that ##\alpha =-\frac{1}{3n}## ?

skrat said:
##=(r^{-p}\vec{n}-pr^{-p-2}(\vec{r}\vec{n})\vec{r})\vec{n}-3\alpha n^2 r^{-p}+p\alpha n^2r^{-p-1}##

There should be a factor of 3 in the first term and the last term should have ##r^{-p}## instead of ##r^{-p-1}##.

I think you are correct about ##p=0##.

hmmm.

First term only:

##\nabla r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r})\vec{n}=##
##=r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r})\nabla\vec{n}+(\nabla r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r}))\vec{n}=##
##=0+[(\vec{n}\vec{r})\nabla r^{-p}+(\nabla(\vec{n}\vec{r}))r^{-p}]\vec{n}=##
##=[-p(\vec{n}\vec{r})r^{-p-1}\frac{\vec{r}}{r}+r^{-p}\vec{n}]\vec{n}=##
##=-pr^{-p-2}(\vec{n}\vec{r})^2+r^{-p}n##

I don't know where would factor 3 come from?

skrat said:
hmmm.

First term only:

##\nabla r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r})\vec{n}=##
##=r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r})\nabla\vec{n}+(\nabla r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r}))\vec{n}=##
##=0+[(\vec{n}\vec{r})\nabla r^{-p}+(\nabla(\vec{n}\vec{r}))r^{-p}]\vec{n}=##
##=[-p(\vec{n}\vec{r})r^{-p-1}\frac{\vec{r}}{r}+r^{-p}\vec{n}]\vec{n}=##
##=-pr^{-p-2}(\vec{n}\vec{r})^2+r^{-p}n^2##

I don't know where would factor 3 come from?

I meant that it should be ##3r^{-p}n^2## instead of ##r^{-p}n^2##. How do you get ##r^{-p}n^2##?

Well

##\nabla(\vec{r}\vec{n})=\vec{n}##

##\vec{n}r^{-p}## and finally ##\vec{n}^2r^{-p}=n^2r^{-p}##

skrat said:
Well

##\nabla(\vec{r}\vec{n})=\vec{n}##

No, this is not correct. How do you conclude this?

##\nabla(\vec{n}\vec{r})=\nabla(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)=(\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(xn_x),\frac{\partial }{\partial y}(yn_y),\frac{\partial }{\partial z}(zn_z))=(n_x,n_y,n_z)=\vec{n}##

is it not?

skrat said:
##\nabla(\vec{n}\vec{r})=\nabla(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)=(\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(xn_x),\frac{\partial }{\partial y}(yn_y),\frac{\partial }{\partial z}(zn_z))=(n_x,n_y,n_z)=\vec{n}##

is it not?

Weird. I was about to correct you because you seem to consider each term as a vector component, but when I wrote the thing down it resulted in the exact same thing :P

[tex]\nabla(\vec{n}.\vec{r})= \nabla(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)=\left( \frac{\partial }{\partial x}(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z),\frac{\partial }{\partial y}(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z),\frac{\partial }{\partial z}(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z) \right)=(n_x,n_y,n_z)=\vec{n}[/tex]

diegzumillo said:
Weird. I was about to correct you because you seem to consider each term as a vector component, but when I wrote the thing down it resulted in the exact same thing :P

I was a bit lazy and didn't write terms that disappear after derivation. :)

skrat said:

is it not?

Hmm...that looks correct although the following identity I found on wiki doesn't seem to agree.

$$\nabla (\vec{f}\cdot \vec{g})=(\vec{f}\cdot \nabla)\vec{g}+(\vec{g}\cdot \nabla)\vec{f}+\vec{f}\times(\nabla \times \vec{g})+\vec{g}\times(\nabla \times \vec{f})$$

In the prsent case, ##\vec{f}=\vec{n}## and ##\vec{g}=\vec{r}##. Three terms in the above identity are zero and ##\nabla\cdot r=3## and this gives the factor of 3. Any idea what's wrong with the above?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities

Pranav-Arora said:
Any idea what's wrong with the above?
The first term is the only non-vanishing term. ##\nabla \cdot r \neq r \cdot \nabla##. The first is a scalar (divergence of r) and the latter is a differential operator.

CAF123 said:
The first term is the only non-vanishing term. ##\nabla \cdot r \neq r \cdot \nabla##. The first is a scalar (divergence of r) and the latter is a differential operator.

Thanks CAF!

I haven't yet seen that in the book I am currently following. How do you calculate ##\vec{r}\cdot \nabla##? (Sorry if this is an idiotic question, I have only a 2-days experience with vector calculus :tongue: )

I made this calculation here breaking into components and I got the same result. [itex]p=0[/itex] and [itex]\alpha =1/3[/itex]. How do you know this is wrong?

edit: excuse my blindness, that's not the result you found.

Last edited:
diegzumillo said:
I made this calculation here breaking into components and I got the same result. [itex]p=0[/itex] and [itex]\alpha =1/3[/itex]. How do you know this is wrong?

Mainly because I got ##\alpha =-\frac{1}{3n}## and you haven't.

No other reason actually. I just doubt that I did right.

Nonononononono!

I have a sign error in my notes. You are right, I also get ##\alpha = \frac 1 3 ##

This problem has one more question I have no idea how to answer:

How can scalar potential of this vector field with calculated ##p## and ##\alpha ## be written?

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks CAF!

I haven't yet seen that in the book I am currently following. How do you calculate ##\vec{r}\cdot \nabla##? (Sorry if this is an idiotic question, I have only a 2-days experience with vector calculus :tongue: )

$$\vec r \cdot \nabla = (xe_x + ye_y + ze_z) \cdot \left\{e_x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + e_y\frac{\partial}{\partial y} + e_z\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \right\}$$ Then doing the dot product gives $$x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + z \frac{\partial}{\partial z}$$ which vanishes when acted on a constant vector. So I do not mean to say ##\vec r \cdot \nabla## vanishes identically.

CAF123 said:
$$\vec r \cdot \nabla = (xe_x + ye_y + ze_z) \cdot \left\{e_x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + e_y\frac{\partial}{\partial y} + e_z\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \right\}$$ Then doing the dot product gives $$x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + z \frac{\partial}{\partial z}$$ which vanishes when acted on a constant vector. So I do not mean to say ##\vec r \cdot \nabla## vanishes identically.

Understood, thanks a lot! :smile:

skrat said:
This problem has one more question I have no idea how to answer:

How can scalar potential of this vector field with calculated ##p## and ##\alpha ## be written?

I assume you mean finding [itex]\varphi[/itex] from the definition
[tex]-\nabla \varphi = \vec A [/tex]

I don't remember any elegant way of solving this besides solving three (or even less) integral equations like [itex]-\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x} = A_x \Rightarrow \varphi = \int dx A_x[/itex]

Just be careful when performing an integration on x, for example, since its integration constant could very well be a function of y and z. Yeah, you'll have to do the other integrations as well.

Ok, I get it.

##\varphi=\int A_xdx+C(y,z)## now the idea is to find what ##C(y,z)## really is.

Will do that in my next post.

Last edited:
diegzumillo said:
I don't remember any elegant way of solving this besides solving three (or even less) integral equations like [itex]-\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x} = A_x \Rightarrow \varphi = \int dx A_x[/itex]
Given the supposition ##\vec A = \nabla \varphi##, you could find ##\varphi## by doing a line integral over an arbritary path between some reference point and some point in space. Analogous to the definition of potential energy in physics.

Ok,now second part.

##\vec{A}=[\vec{n}(\vec{r}\vec{n})-\alpha n^2\vec{r}]r^{-p}=[\vec{n}(\vec{r}\vec{n})-\frac{n^2}{3}\vec{r}]## if ##p=0## and ##\alpha = 1/3##.

##[\vec{n}(\vec{r}\vec{n})-\frac{n^2}{3}\vec{r}]=[n_x(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)-\frac{n^2}{3}x,n_y(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)-\frac{n^2}{3}y,n_z(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)-\frac{n^2}{3}z]##

So ##U=\int A_xdx=\int (n_x(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)-\frac{n^2}{3}x)dx=##
##=\int (n_x(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)-\frac{n^2}{3}x)dx=\int (xn_x^2+yn_yn_x+zn_zn_x-\frac{n^2}{3}x)dx=##
##=n_x^2\frac{x^2}{2}+(yn_yn_x+zn_zn_x)x-\frac{n^2}{6}x^2+C(z,y)##

Now ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial y}=xn_yn_x+\frac{\partial }{\partial y}C(z,y)## which should be equal to ##A_y=n_y(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)-\frac{n^2}{3}y## meaning that ##\frac{\partial }{\partial y}C(z,y)=yn_y^2+zn_zn_y-\frac{n^2}{3}y##.

Therefore ##C=yzn_yn_z+\frac{n^2}{2}z^2-\frac{n^2}{6}z^2+D(z)##

Now if you don't mind... I think you already got the idea how I calculated this so if you don't mind, I will just write what Is my final expression for ##U##

##U=n_x^2\frac{x^2}{2}+(yn_yn_x+zn_zn_x)x-\frac{n^2}{6}x^2+C(z,y)=##
##=n_x^2\frac{x^2}{2}+(yn_yn_x+zn_zn_x)x-\frac{n^2}{6}x^2+2zyn_zn_y-\frac{n^2}{6}(y^2+z^2)+\frac{n_y^2}{2}y ^2+\frac{n_z^2}{2}z^2=##
##=(yn_yn_x+zn_zn_x)x+2zyn_zn_y-\frac{n^2}{6}(x^2+y^2+z^2)+\frac 1 2 (x^2n_x^2+y^2n_y^2+z^2n_z^2)##

Hopefully..

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. This means that at any given point in the space, there is a corresponding vector with both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a rotor in a vector field?

A rotor in a vector field is a mathematical operator that takes a vector field as its input and outputs a new vector field. It is used to measure the amount of rotation or curl in a vector field at a given point.

3. What is the nabla operator in a vector field?

The nabla operator, also known as del or gradient, is a mathematical operator that operates on a scalar or vector field and produces a vector field as its output. It is used to measure the rate of change or gradient of a field at a given point.

4. What is the relationship between rotors and nabla operators in a vector field?

The relationship between rotors and nabla operators is that the rotor of a vector field is equal to the cross product of the nabla operator and the vector field. This relationship is used to calculate the amount of rotation or curl in a vector field at a given point.

5. How are vector fields and their operators used in science?

Vector fields and their operators are used in many different fields of science, including physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics. They are used to analyze and understand the behavior and properties of physical systems, such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and gravitational fields.