How do I find the maximum and when it occurs for this min/max problem?

• Thread starter Samael
  • Start date
In summary, the problem was that you were asked to find the maximum and when it occurred (t), but you weren't able to because the function didn't have a minimum.
Samael
I'm having some problems with this following min/max problem.

[tex]C= 0.25t{e^-^0^.^3^t}[/tex]

I am being asked to find the Maximum and when it occurs (t)

Using the PR I obtained:

[tex]0.25t . {-0.3{e^-^0^.^3^t} + {e^-^0^.^3^t} . 0.25 [/tex]

Later by factoring

[tex]0.25 . e^-^0^.^3^t[(t - 0.3)][/tex]

Now because SP/TP at dy/dx = 0

I find one to give 0.3, but am not sure what to do with the other one [tex]0.25 . e^-^0^.^3^t[/tex]

When I make it equal to zero I get an answer which is wrong, I'm guessing the error is either in my factorising or transposing the above problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the graph e-t, does it ever actually equal 0?

hello there

C=o.25te^(-0.3t)
dC/dt=0.25e^(-0.3t)-0.075te^(-0.3t)=0
piece of advice you have to know your log and your exponential rules
take one term to the right hand side then log both sides then use some logarithms rules and you should eventually get t by it self and t=0.2/0.075

take care

steven

Your notation is rather awkward.Use brackets or the commands

"\cdot" or "\times" which produce

[tex]\cdot [/tex] , [tex] \times [/tex]

,but don't put the multiplicative dot like that "."

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Your notation is rather awkward.Use brackets or the commands

"\cdot" or "\times" which produce

[tex]\cdot [/tex] , [tex] \times [/tex]

,but don't put the multiplicative dot like that "."

Daniel.
Although actually, as it is taught in England, . is the multiplication dot where as [itex]\cdot[/itex] is the decimal place. Akward :confused:

You drive with the wheel on your right and you used Henry the VIII-th small finger to define the inch,so why am i not surprised...?:wink:

Daniel.

As it is in my textbook "." is what I am taught.

Also those values you got don't seem to be the maximum (or minimum) values, nor can I obtain them by substituting them into [tex]f(x)[/tex].

Edit: My mistake, my factorising was done wrong. Should've looked like this:

[tex]f'(x) = e^-^0^.^3^t(-0.075t + 0.25)[/tex]

Which gives the max as :

3.33 when letting the 2nd pair = 0

Thanks for your assistance. Appreciated.

Last edited:
So what's wrong. You solved the problem. You can never find a minimum on the interval (-inf,inf). It is unbounded below. Anyway Rolle's Theorem states that if a local or global maximum/minimum of a function f(x) at a point c, at that point the slope of the curve is zero. That is to sayf'(c)=0. You found the formula for the derivative. Suppose that there's a maximum at a point c. Using Rolle's theorem we get f'(c)=0. Now if you equal the formukla to zero and make some calculations, c turns out to be 3,333333... Put that number c into the formula of f(x)(you seek the extreme values of this function) and you have the absolute maximum of the function which is 0,306566. Any problems?

I wrote the whole solution because you already have done the most imprtant part.

:) I think I was writing when you edited your last post. You still don not have the maximum of the function. You just found the point where the extrema occurs... Plug that value into the first equation...

Sorry, I was being asked to find when it occurred hence we found the X point to be 3.333333 and then substituted it back into [tex]f(x)[/tex] to find the corresponding y value.

My problem was in how to use the PR correctely, but that's been figured out now. Thanks again. :)

What is the Maximum/Minimum Problem?

The Maximum/Minimum Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the largest or smallest value of a function over a given domain. It is also known as the optimization problem, as it involves finding the optimal solution.

What are some real-world applications of the Maximum/Minimum Problem?

The Maximum/Minimum Problem has many applications in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. Some examples include finding the maximum profit for a company, minimizing the cost of production, and determining the shortest path for a delivery route.

How is the Maximum/Minimum Problem solved?

The Maximum/Minimum Problem can be solved using various methods such as analytical methods, graphical methods, and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve using calculus to find the critical points of a function, while graphical methods involve plotting the function and visually determining the maximum or minimum point. Numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution.

What are the key concepts involved in solving the Maximum/Minimum Problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the Maximum/Minimum Problem include understanding the properties of functions, such as continuity and differentiability, and using calculus techniques such as finding derivatives and setting them equal to zero to find critical points. It is also important to consider the domain and constraints of the function in order to find the global maximum or minimum.

What are some common mistakes made when solving the Maximum/Minimum Problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving the Maximum/Minimum Problem include forgetting to check the endpoints of the domain, not considering all possible critical points, and not properly setting up the problem with the correct constraints. It is also important to remember to check the second derivative to determine if the critical point is a maximum or minimum, or a point of inflection.