Sound Intensity of Piston in Engine at 8000 RPM

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequency and intensity of sound produced by a piston in an engine with a stroke of 86 mm and RPM of 8000. The frequency is found to be 133 Hz with a wavelength of 2.57 m. The pressure amplitude is calculated to be 20000 Pa and the intensity of the sound wave is 479000 W/m2. There is a question about whether the intensity is too high and if there may be a miscalculation using two formulas for pressure amplitude and intensity of sound.
sid_galt
consider a piston in an engine with a stroke of 86 mm and RPM 8000 which gives the frequency of sound it is producing(due to compression and decompression) to be 133 Hz and wavelength 2.57 m.

Then the pressure amplitude turns out to be 20000 Pa and the intensity of the sound wave to be 479000 W/m2.

Is it just me or is the intensity of the sound much too high? Am I going wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, any takers? Is the sound intensity produced really that high or am I going wrong somewhere with my calculations. I used the following two formulas

pressure amplitude = bulk modulus * wave number * displacement amplitude

intensity of sound = pressure amplitude^2/(2*density of air*speed of sound)

I can confirm that the intensity of the sound produced by the piston in an engine at 8000 RPM is indeed high. This can be attributed to the high frequency and pressure amplitude of the sound wave. The intensity of sound is directly proportional to the square of the pressure amplitude, so even a small increase in pressure can result in a significant increase in intensity. Additionally, the high RPM of the engine also contributes to the intensity of the sound as it increases the frequency of the sound wave.

It is also important to note that the intensity of sound is measured on a logarithmic scale, meaning small changes in intensity can result in large differences in perceived loudness. Therefore, the intensity of 479000 W/m2 may seem high, but it is not uncommon for sounds produced by machinery, such as engines, to have high intensity levels.

Furthermore, it is possible that the calculation for the pressure amplitude and intensity may have been affected by other factors such as the size and design of the engine, as well as the materials used. It is important to take all of these factors into consideration when analyzing the intensity of sound produced by an engine.

In conclusion, the high intensity of the sound produced by the piston in an engine at 8000 RPM is expected and not necessarily a cause for concern. However, further analysis and consideration of other factors may provide a more accurate understanding of the sound intensity.

1. What is sound intensity and how is it measured?

Sound intensity is the amount of energy that passes through a certain area in a specific amount of time. It is measured in decibels (dB) using a sound level meter.

2. How does the sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM compare to other common sounds?

The sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM can vary greatly depending on the type of engine and its size. However, it is generally comparable to the sound intensity of a motorcycle or a lawn mower.

3. What factors affect the sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM?

The sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM can be affected by factors such as the size and design of the engine, the materials used, and the level of maintenance and tuning of the engine.

4. Is the sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM harmful to human hearing?

The sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM can reach high levels, but it is not usually harmful to human hearing if experienced in short bursts. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of sound intensity can lead to hearing damage.

5. Can the sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM be reduced?

Yes, the sound intensity of a piston in an engine at 8000 RPM can be reduced through various methods such as using sound insulation materials, tuning the engine for better performance, and implementing noise reduction techniques in the design of the engine.