Which graduate school should I go to for Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, Purdue and Georgia Tech are two of the most prestigious graduate schools in the country. Purdue is better known for its aerospace and engineering programs, while Georgia Tech has a stronger focus on spacecraft design and space systems. Neither school is necessarily better than the other, but each has its own strengths. If you are interested in working for NASA, either school would be a good choice.
craigs02
Hello! I am having trouble deciding which graduate school to go to. I want to work for NASA and I would like to go to the best school possible. Does anyone know the main differences between Purdue and Georgia Tech. I am primarily interested in spacecraft design and space systems. Thanks! What would you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Give Embry-Riddle a look.

NC State is a good choice...

http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/grad/overview.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Purdue and GA Tech have very well known programs. You wouldn't go wrong with either. Honestly, any accredited school you go to is a good choice. People put too much emphasis on the name on the sign out front rather than where it needs to be, which is in your performance and course of studies taken.

The answer might also depend on which section/location of NASA you want to work at. Often, different sectors or sites choose different 'feeder' schools based on their location or how many graduates already work there.

Take a look at MIT, Cornell, UM (College Park), etc. But, before you even consider to work for Nasa, you have to realize that you have to focus on one, and only one particular engineering program. No matter what school you go to, put all the effort into your strengh and make it happen, but if you consider going to work for Nasa, i would say studying Dynamics as much as posssible. Good luck

Don't forget University of Texas. Location, location, location.

TVP45 said:
Don't forget University of Texas. Location, location, location.
Or Texas A&M, even closer to Johnson Space Center than UT.

Beware: Should you choose A&M, you will be the brunt of Aggie joke for the rest of your life.

Jus to rattle off a few more names: University of Colorado, University of Michigan, and MIT (perennially the top-ranked aerospace school).

I work for a tiny aerospace company specializing in guidance, navigation, and control. The majority of our employees are from UT, A&M, Colorado, Michigan, and Cornell.

Thank you all soo much for your help, I really appreciate it!

1. How do I determine which graduate school is the best fit for me?

Determining the best-fit graduate school for Aerospace Engineering ultimately depends on your individual interests, goals, and strengths. Consider factors such as the program's curriculum, research opportunities, faculty expertise, location, and cost. It is also important to visit the campus, talk to current students and alumni, and read reviews to get a better understanding of the program.

2. What are the top graduate schools for Aerospace Engineering?

The top graduate schools for Aerospace Engineering may vary depending on different ranking systems. Some of the best schools include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Michigan, and Purdue University.

3. How important is the reputation of the graduate school?

The reputation of the graduate school can play a significant role in your future career opportunities and networking. However, it is not the only factor to consider. The reputation of the program, faculty, and research opportunities may be more important than the overall reputation of the school. It is essential to research and consider all aspects before making a decision.

4. Is it better to attend a large or small graduate school for Aerospace Engineering?

The size of the graduate school can also impact your experience. Larger schools may offer a wider range of research opportunities, resources, and networking opportunities. On the other hand, smaller schools may provide more personalized attention, smaller class sizes, and closer relationships with faculty. Ultimately, the best option depends on your preferences and goals.

5. How important is the location of the graduate school?

The location of the graduate school can have both positive and negative impacts. Consider factors such as cost of living, job opportunities in the area, and access to research facilities. Additionally, being in a hub for aerospace companies may provide more networking opportunities. However, the location should not be the sole determining factor and should be weighed against other important aspects of the program.