Problem 4, Landau/Lifshitz, page 12

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the problem can be found on page 12, problem 4 of a book on mechanics. The problem involves finding the Lagrangian for three particles in circular motion, with two of the particles having potential energy. The solution given in the book includes a "g" term, which may indicate the presence of a gravitational field. The conversation also includes a discussion of the kinetic energy for each particle and a clarification on the notation used for the angles involved.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The problem can be found there, page 12, problem 4: http://books.google.com.ar/books?id...ntcover&dq=mechanics&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec v = \vec \omega \wedge \vec r[/tex].
[tex]L=L_1+L_2+L_3[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made an attempt and then saw the solution given in the book and I don't get it. First, there is no mention of a gratitational field, hence why is there a "g" term in the solution?
My attempt: None of the 3 particles have potential energy, hence the Lagrangian is simply the sum of the kinetic energies of the particles.
For each one of the 2 particles [tex]m_1[/tex], I've found that [tex]T=\frac{m_1}{2} \Omega ^2 l^2 \sin ^2 (\phi)[/tex] since they describe a circular motion of radius [tex]l \sin \phi[/tex]. So it only remains to find the kinetic energy of [tex]m_2[/tex].
Choosing the origin at point A, [tex]x=2l \cos \phi[/tex]. Now to calculate [tex]\dot x[/tex], I think that only [tex]\phi[/tex] may vary thus [tex]\dot x = -2l \dot \phi \sin \phi[/tex]. So I get [tex]T_2=2m_2 l^2 \sin ^2 (\phi )[/tex].
Which gives me [tex]L=l^2 \sin ^2 (\phi) (m_1 \Omega ^2 +2 \dot \phi ^2 m_2)[/tex].
I wonder if my answer is correct if I assume no external gravitational field. L&L didn't specify the field but in the answer there's a "g"...
Thanks for any kind of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually whenever the word "vertical" is used in a mechanics problem, it's safe to assume there is an earth-like gravitational field [itex]g[/itex] present.

Even without a gravitational field present, wouldn't there be an additional contribution to the kinetic energy of each [itex]m_1[/itex] when [itex]\theta[/itex] is changing?

And your kinetic energy for [itex]m_2[/itex] makes no sense to me...did you mean [tex]T_2=2m_2 l^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin^2\theta[/tex]?

Edit: Maybe your version of the text uses different labels for the angles...in my version, [tex]\Omega=\dot{\phi}[/tex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] represents the angle the massless rods make with the axis of rotation.

gabbagabbahey said:
Usually whenever the word "vertical" is used in a mechanics problem, it's safe to assume there is an earth-like gravitational field [itex]g[/itex] present.
Ok thanks a lot. I will remember this.
Even without a gravitational field present, wouldn't there be an additional contribution to the kinetic energy of each [itex]m_1[/itex] when [itex]\theta[/itex] is changing?
Hmm. Ok a (or 2?) term is missing. I think I've calculated the KE the masses have with their circular motion. It would remain the term of the vertical (and horizontal?) KE. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
And your kinetic energy for [itex]m_2[/itex] makes no sense to me...did you mean [tex]T_2=2m_2 l^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin^2\theta[/tex]?
Yes I meant this, I made a typo error.

Edit: Maybe your version of the text uses different labels for the angles...in my version, [tex]\Omega=\dot{\phi}[/tex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] represents the angle the massless rods make with the axis of rotation.
I see. So when you said "theta" in the upper question, which notation did you use?

fluidistic said:
Hmm. Ok a (or 2?) term is missing. I think I've calculated the KE the masses have with their circular motion. It would remain the term of the vertical (and horizontal?) KE. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Not a factor of 2, but a term involving [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex], corresponding to the motion of each [itex]m_1[/itex] when the rotating frame is stretched or squished.

I see. So when you said "theta" in the upper question, which notation did you use?

The one where theta is the angle the upper supports make with the axis of rotaion/

Dear author,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving Problem 4 on page 12 of Landau/Lifshitz. It seems that you have correctly calculated the kinetic energy of each particle and have correctly identified the Lagrangian as the sum of the kinetic energies of all three particles.

Regarding your question about the gravitational field, it is possible that the authors of the book assumed a constant gravitational field acting on the system. This could explain the "g" term in their solution. However, it is also possible that the authors made an error in their solution. Without further information, it is difficult to determine the correct answer.

In any case, it is important to note that your approach to the problem is valid and your calculation of the Lagrangian is correct. Even if the authors' solution is incorrect, your reasoning and calculations are still valuable and can help you to better understand the concepts and principles involved in this problem.

I hope this response has been helpful. Keep up the good work in your studies of mechanics!

Best,

1. What is the significance of "Problem 4" in Landau/Lifshitz?

Problem 4 in Landau/Lifshitz refers to the fourth problem presented in the textbook, which is a specific exercise or question designed to test the reader's understanding of the material.

2. Where can I find "Problem 4" in Landau/Lifshitz?

"Problem 4" can be found on page 12 of the Landau/Lifshitz textbook. Page numbers may vary depending on the edition or version of the book.

3. What topic does "Problem 4" cover?

"Problem 4" in Landau/Lifshitz covers the topic of classical mechanics and specifically deals with the motion of a particle in a central force field.

4. How can I solve "Problem 4" in Landau/Lifshitz?

To solve "Problem 4" in Landau/Lifshitz, you can follow the step-by-step instructions and equations provided in the textbook. It may also be helpful to review any relevant concepts or formulas from previous chapters.

5. Is "Problem 4" applicable to real-world situations?

Yes, "Problem 4" in Landau/Lifshitz deals with a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and can be applied to real-world situations, such as the motion of planets around the sun or the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.