Dark matter or variable gravity?

In summary: So fine, let's say you've got a good fit to a particular galactic rotation curve, but you still have all these other problems. MOND is clearly not a successful theory.If you're talking about TeVeS, well, first of all that isn't MOND. But in order for TeVeS to explain the cluster data, they have had to invoke a much greater neutrino density than is expected in the standard model. In other words, they need dark matter anyway, and once you have to have dark matter in the model, what is the point of proposing TeVeS in the first place?I'm also not convinced that you can use the exact same parameters in TeVeS to explain dwarf
slooper2112
Can someone explain why 'dark matter' is the dominate explanation for the 'excess' gravity seen around galaxies?

It seems to me that we have made an assumption that mass causes gravity. Isn't it possible that gravity arises from some as yet not understood mechanism?

I may be way off base but it seems to me that if gravity is space-time density, then it would 'seem' that when the Universe was all energy (no mass formed yet) there would have been some variability in the energy and density of space-time itself.

In the more dense areas, energy would condense into mass. So maybe higher density space-time gives rise to formation of mass.

Thoughts?

Shannon

Space news on Phys.org
This may be a redundant question.

The point of dark matter is that, whatever it is made of be it particles or energy, it affects gravity as if it were massive.

slooper2112 said:
Can someone explain why 'dark matter' is the dominate explanation for the 'excess' gravity seen around galaxies?

It seems to me that we have made an assumption that mass causes gravity. Isn't it possible that gravity arises from some as yet not understood mechanism?

I may be way off base but it seems to me that if gravity is space-time density, then it would 'seem' that when the Universe was all energy (no mass formed yet) there would have been some variability in the energy and density of space-time itself.

In the more dense areas, energy would condense into mass. So maybe higher density space-time gives rise to formation of mass.

Thoughts?

Shannon
Well, the dynamics of dark matter, mainly the way that structures in the early universe formed, demonstrates that dark matter doesn't experience any significant pressure. This is the sort of behavior we associate with free particles that have no electric charge, such as neutrinos (neutrinos just have too little mass, so the dark matter needs to be some sort of neutrino-like particle with more mass).

And by the way, there is no such thing as pure energy. When you get down to it, energy is a property of matter, full stop. Energy cannot exist on its own separate from matter any more than there can be "pure velocity". If there is energy, then that energy is contained in some field or other.

Variable gravity is inconsistent with general relativity, not to mention observational evidence.

slooper2112 said:

Thoughts?

Shannon

There are alternatives to dark matter, where the observed phenomena is not associated to some new kind of matter but to a modification of the gravitational laws. Maybe the more known is MOND (MOdified Newtonian Dynamics) which is well-tested and has been used to make predictions at galactic scale.

juanrga said:
There are alternatives to dark matter, where the observed phenomena is not associated to some new kind of matter but to a modification of the gravitational laws. Maybe the more known is MOND (MOdified Newtonian Dynamics) which is well-tested and has been used to make predictions at galactic scale.
MOND is dead and buried. It simply doesn't explain the variety of galactic rotation curves we see, let alone cluster dynamics, the bullet cluster, or the CMB.

There are, of course, always a few people at the fringes of any science that like to work with zombie ideas. But this is one that really deserves to go the way of the luminiferous aether.

MOND also doesn't explain gravitational lensing by dark matter, that has been observed.

PAllen said:
MOND also doesn't explain gravitational lensing by dark matter, that has been observed.

MOND is non-relativistic. Gravitational lensing is a relativistic effect, which is explained by relativistic MOND theories.

juanrga said:
MOND is non-relativistic. Gravitational lensing is a relativistic effect, which is explained by relativistic MOND theories.

Correct me if I'm wrong (preferably with an arxiv reference), but the versions of relativistic MOND I've seen incorporate lensing by ordinary matter, but in no way account for lensing by dark matter, as the latter doesn't exist for them, and can't be arbitrarily distributed. My point is that clumped distributions of dark matter have been directly observed by weak gravitational lensing.

PAllen said:
My point is that clumped distributions of dark matter have been directly observed by weak gravitational lensing.

Those distributions have been inferred from GR-based gravitational lensing plus ordinary matter distribution. That is not a direct observation.

juanrga said:
Those distributions have been inferred from GR-based gravitational lensing plus ordinary matter distribution. That is not a direct observation.
It doesn't really matter. The MOND model doesn't explain the data. Ergo it's wrong.

juanrga said:
I already explained in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3546634&postcount=9 why this is not true.
If you're talking about TeVeS, well, first of all that isn't MOND. But in order for TeVeS to explain the cluster data, they have had to invoke a much greater neutrino density than is expected in the standard model. In other words, they need dark matter anyway, and once you have to have dark matter in the model, what is the point of proposing TeVeS in the first place?

I'm also not convinced that you can use the exact same parameters in TeVeS to explain dwarf galaxies, large galaxies, and galaxy clusters, let alone CMB anisotropies.

1. What is dark matter and why is it important to study?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. It is important to study because it makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

2. How do we know that dark matter exists?

Scientists have observed the gravitational effects of dark matter on visible matter, such as the rotation of galaxies and the bending of light in gravitational lenses. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation also provides evidence for the existence of dark matter.

3. What is variable gravity and how does it differ from the currently accepted theory of gravity?

Variable gravity is a theory that suggests that the strength of gravity can change over time and space. This differs from the currently accepted theory of gravity, which is described by Einstein's general theory of relativity and assumes that gravity is a constant force.

4. Is there any evidence for variable gravity?

So far, there is no solid evidence for variable gravity. Some scientists have proposed modified theories of gravity to explain certain phenomena, such as the rotation curves of galaxies, but these theories have not been confirmed by observations.

5. How do scientists study and test theories of dark matter and variable gravity?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study and test theories of dark matter and variable gravity. These include observations of the rotation of galaxies, the distribution of matter in the universe, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. They also conduct experiments using particle accelerators to search for possible dark matter particles and study the behavior of gravity on a small scale.