Using centripetal force, determine the acceleration of gravity

In summary, the conversation is about determining the acceleration of gravity using centripetal force and a swinging coin. The questioner is unsure about how to incorporate the mass of the coin and the plastic tube into their calculations. They are advised to draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's 2nd law to both the vertical and horizontal directions. It is also suggested to use the mass of the coin in the calculations, but to leave it as 'm' to see if it cancels out.
spike spiegel

Homework Statement

This question relates centripetal acceleration and gravity. The general question is to determine the acceleration of gravity using centripetal force. A coin is tied to a string and swung in a circle over a person’s head. There is also a plastic tube attached to the string. The number of full rotations in a certain amount of time is counted, and the length of the string is measured as well. My question is, how would I go about finding the acceleration of gravity. I know that the centripetal force, (mv^2)/r, is equal to the force of gravity, F(g). I know the radius and the velocity, but what do I do for the mass, and how to I solve the overall problem for gravity? Is the mass just the mass of the coin, or the mass of the tube plus that of the coin?

Homework Equations

Centripetal force = (mv^2)/r
(mv^2)/r = F(c) = F(t) = F(g)
Mass of coin - 58.1 g
Mass of tube - 20.1 g

The Attempt at a Solution

One line of data
Using mass=coin + tube
20 revolutions in 18.91 s at a radius of 1.03 m
m = 58.1 + 20.1 = 78.2 g
r = 1.03 m
v = d/t
2pir = 2pi(1.03)/ 18.91 = 0.342 m/s
(78.2*.342^2)/1.03= 8.88 m/s^2
Pretty close to 9.8, but is this the right way to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
spike spiegel said:
I know that the centripetal force, (mv^2)/r, is equal to the force of gravity, F(g).
That won't work. For one thing, assuming you are swinging the coin in a horizontal circle, the centripetal acceleration (and force) act horizontally. But gravity acts vertically.

Instead, examine the forces acting on the object. Draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's 2nd law to both vertical and horizontal directions. Hint: The string isn't horizontal. What angle does it make?
I know the radius and the velocity, but what do I do for the mass, and how to I solve the overall problem for gravity? Is the mass just the mass of the coin, or the mass of the tube plus that of the coin?
If you are studying forces on the coin, then it's the mass of the coin that matters. But, as is often the case, you might not need the actual mass. Just call it 'm' and see if it drops out.

1. What is centripetal force and how is it related to gravity?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular motion, keeping an object in its circular path. It is related to gravity because in a circular motion, the centripetal force is equal to the force of gravity pulling the object towards the center.

2. How can centripetal force be used to determine the acceleration of gravity?

Centripetal force can be used to determine the acceleration of gravity by using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula can be rearranged to solve for the acceleration of gravity, which is equal to a = v²/r.

3. What is the relationship between the velocity and acceleration in a circular motion?

In a circular motion, the velocity and acceleration are always perpendicular to each other. This means that the acceleration is constantly changing the direction of the velocity, but not its magnitude. The magnitude of the velocity remains constant in a circular motion.

4. Can centripetal force be used to determine the mass of an object?

No, centripetal force alone cannot determine the mass of an object. Other factors such as the velocity, radius, and type of force must also be known in order to calculate the mass using the formula F = mv²/r. Additionally, the mass of an object does not affect the acceleration of gravity, so it cannot be found using centripetal force and gravity alone.

5. How does the acceleration of gravity vary on different planets?

The acceleration of gravity varies on different planets due to differences in mass and radius. The formula for acceleration of gravity is a = GM/r², where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the radius. Therefore, planets with larger masses and smaller radii will have a higher acceleration of gravity compared to smaller planets with larger radii.