Why is autoparking using photosensors still a challenge for OEMs?

• Thread starter Moehamed
  • Start date
In summary, Moehamed is asking for help in creating a control system for an autoparking system for a car. He is asking for anyone who has any information about this type of system to share that information with him. He is also apologizing for his narky response.
Moehamed
hey .. i want to make a control on a car using photo sensors ( LDR ) for an autoparking system would you kindly give me any info about the circuit i have to use to build up this system .. thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Moehamed.
You should never say "Thanks in advance". That indicates that you expect a favourable response, which just pisses people off. If someone says "thanks in advance" to me in person, my response is "you're welcome in advance; now go jump yourself."
That being out of the way, what exactly are you asking? Ford, Mercedes, and several others have spent decades and multiple millions of dollars to develop something that you want we unwashed masses to hand over to you for free. I might be missing something here, but it really seems to me that you are barking up the wrong bush.

Last edited by a moderator:
To put that another way :)...

You can't just slap a photosensor on a car and say "go! Park yourself". It requires mutiple sensors in strategic locations, quick and complex coding/logic, and methods to accurately and reliably control wheel speed, steering, and braking.

You can ask for help about what to research, or what problems are generally encountered in these types of applications, but asking how to build an autoparking "circuit" (since it isn't really a circuit, but a control system) won't get you very far...most of us have never built on ourselves, and if we did, I'm sure most would be reluctant (as Danger said) to give it out for free. There is a lot of information out there on the web about using photosensors to control things. Start there.

Methods of control vary greatly, and the application you are concerned with has less to do with what kind of circuit you use and more to do with the logic and controls you use.

Travis_King said:
To put that another way :)...

Thank you for posting that, Travis. It made me realize that I was unnecessarily (and unintentionally) rude to Moehamed, and I herewith offer him an apology.
It's no legitimate excuse, but I've been very ill for a long time, and it's irritating. I let my mood get in the way of my manners, and I'm sorry.

I was going to say it was a bit of a narky response. It contained a good point though.

OEMs spending millions in consulting; teams of people and years of testing still can't get it to work well even when they can design the car around the control system.

1. How does autoparking using photosensor work?

Autoparking using photosensor works by using a photosensor or camera to detect the surrounding environment and objects, and then using an algorithm to process the data and determine the best course of action for parking the vehicle. The photosensor continuously takes images and compares them to previous images to track movement and calculate the vehicle's position and trajectory.

2. What are the benefits of using photosensors for autoparking?

The use of photosensors for autoparking offers several benefits, including improved accuracy and precision compared to human drivers, increased safety by eliminating blind spots and human errors, and convenience for drivers by allowing for hands-free parking.

3. Can photosensors work in all types of lighting conditions?

Photosensors used for autoparking are designed to work in various lighting conditions, including low light and bright sunlight. However, extreme weather conditions such as heavy rain or snow may affect the sensor's functionality and accuracy.

4. Are photosensors reliable for autoparking?

Photosensors have been extensively tested and proven to be reliable for autoparking. They can accurately detect and navigate around obstacles, and their performance continues to improve with advancements in technology.

5. Is autoparking using photosensor available in all vehicles?

Currently, autoparking using photosensor is not available in all vehicles. It is primarily found in high-end luxury vehicles, but as the technology becomes more affordable and widely available, it is expected to be integrated into more mainstream vehicles in the future.