Exploring the Mystery of High Thread Views

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, I think there might be something like a spider counting the views of threads, and then pushing up the view count when a thread is looked at more often.
jackmell
Hi,

I've noticed recently, threads, maybe not all of them, quickly increase in views. Take for example a thread I created just a few hours ago. It already has 225 views. I've noticed that elsewhere. Take homework help, all 200,300,400 views. Take general math, all 200,300,400 or so views, Calculus and Analysis, same several hundred views, DE, same thing. I can't imagine that's all people viewing it. Isn't that strange? Is there some kind of worm or something reading all our threads automatically? I haven't done a rigorous analysis of the matter and was just wondering if anyone else noticed this behavior?

Thanks,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. I've sometimes monitored the view count, seeing it go up to 10 or 20, which probably are real viewers, and then jump up a couple of hundred.

I think it has to do with automatic mechanisms like google spiders and rss feeds.
And then when someone googles something it gives a hit on the page pushing up the count further.

You'll see there's a somewhat linear relation between view count and thread age.
So when you see a thread with a new post that has a ridiculuous high view count, you already know it's a necropost.

I think a lot of it is spiders and general searches/hits from google however there are also thousands of active members that tend to live in blocks around the world. For example: I live in the UK so as I go to bed PF seems to liven up as everyone on the western side of the Atlantic starts coming home from work. It's also funny to note that there is a similar flurry from about midday when those same people check and post in the morning. I haven't noticed other flurries because I think (though I may be utterly wrong) that non-American membership seems more spread out across the globe.

Ok guys. Didn't realize it was that much spider-viewing. Seems a little deceptive then that the view-count really doesn't even come close to reflecting how many real people are reading it.

Spiders aren't counted. Thread views are updated once an hour. Consider we have a lot of traffic coming in from Google searches. Any new threads are likely looked at by many of the few hundred members who log in any given hour. Nothing abnormal happening here.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Spiders aren't counted. Thread views are updated once an hour. Consider we have a lot of traffic coming in from Google searches. Any new threads are likely looked at by many of the few hundred members who log in any given hour. Nothing abnormal happening here.
I agree. PF is big in terms of both membership (~350k) and Google appearance (in my limited experience, and pertaining to non-member viewership). So, a few hundred views of any thread in a few hours, by real people, doesn't seem at all inordinate.

Last edited:
Ok then. Thank you.

1. Why are thread views so high?

There are a few possible reasons for high thread views. It could be due to the topic being popular or controversial, the thread being shared on social media or other websites, or the thread containing valuable information that people keep returning to.

2. Does high thread views indicate the thread is popular?

Not necessarily. While high thread views can be an indicator of popularity, it could also be due to the thread being shared on different platforms or ranking high in search engine results. It's important to also consider the engagement and interactions within the thread to determine its popularity.

3. Can high thread views be manipulated?

It is possible for thread views to be manipulated, such as through click farms or bots. However, most websites have measures in place to detect and prevent these activities, so it is unlikely for high thread views to be artificially inflated.

4. Do high thread views affect the credibility of the thread?

Not necessarily. While high thread views can indicate a level of interest in the topic, it does not necessarily reflect the accuracy or credibility of the information discussed in the thread. It's important to fact-check and critically evaluate the information presented in the thread.

5. How can I increase thread views on my own threads?

There are a few ways to increase thread views, such as promoting the thread on social media or other websites, using relevant and engaging titles and descriptions, and actively participating in discussions within the thread. Providing valuable and informative content can also attract more views and engagement.