Uniqueness with Laplace's Equation and Robin Boundary Condn

In summary, the conversation discusses Laplace's equation and its solution in a bounded region D when a given function and a constant are involved. It is proven that if the constant is greater than 0, there is only one solution to the problem, but if the constant is 0, there can be multiple solutions that differ by an additive constant. The identity used in the previous part is crucial in the proof for the case where the constant is greater than 0.
JonoPUH

Homework Statement

Suppose that T(x, y) satisfies Laplace’s equation in a bounded region
D and that
∂T/∂n+ λT = σ(x, y) on ∂D,
where ∂D is the boundary of D, ∂T/∂n is the outward normal deriva-
tive of T, σ is a given function, and λ is a constant. Prove that there
is at most one solution to the problem if λ > 0, and that if λ = 0
the solution is not unique, but any two solutions differ by an additive
constant.

Homework Equations

Txx+Tyy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to show the additive inverse part for λ=0, but I'm having trouble with the λ>0 part.

I used W=S-T, where S also satisfies the above conditions, so therefore W is also a solution of Laplace's, with
∂W/∂n+λW=0.
However, I don't know where to go from there.
Do I use the identity I used in the previous part, which gives me ∫∫RWx2+Wy2dxdy=∫∂RW(∂W/∂n)ds ?
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still really stuck on this. Is there any more information people require to help me?
Thanks.

The identity you proved in the previous part is exactly what you need. If you substitute -lambda*W for dW/dn in the right integral, compare the signs of each side of the equality

Thanks for the tip, but could you possibly explain what you mean by the sign of each side? Is it simply that one side is positive, and the other is negative? In which case, I'm not sure how to proceed. Sorry.

1. What is Laplace's Equation and how is it used in science?

Laplace's Equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving steady-state situations, such as heat transfer and fluid flow.

2. Can you explain the concept of uniqueness in relation to Laplace's Equation?

In the context of Laplace's Equation, uniqueness refers to the fact that there is only one solution that satisfies the given boundary conditions. This is important because it ensures that the solution obtained is the correct one and there are no other possible solutions.

3. What are Robin boundary conditions and how do they differ from other types of boundary conditions?

Robin boundary conditions are a type of boundary condition that specifies the relationship between the value of the function and its derivative at the boundary. They differ from other types of boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet and Neumann, in that they include both the function and its derivative in the equation.

4. Why are Robin boundary conditions important in solving Laplace's Equation?

Robin boundary conditions are important because they allow for more flexibility in solving Laplace's Equation. They can be used to model a variety of physical situations, such as heat transfer at a boundary with a specified heat flux, or fluid flow at a boundary with a specified shear stress.

5. How is the uniqueness of solutions with Robin boundary conditions proven?

The uniqueness of solutions with Robin boundary conditions is typically proven using the maximum principle, which states that the maximum or minimum value of a solution cannot occur in the interior of the region, but must occur at the boundary. This, combined with the specific form of the Robin boundary condition, allows for the uniqueness of the solution to be demonstrated.