What Happens to Potential Energy in a Disappearing Field?

• Thread starter lluke9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, potential energy in a uniform field of magnitude X that is dependent on a particle's mass, M, is equal to XMD when the particle is moved D distance against the force of the field. When the field is suddenly turned off, the potential energy disappears because the energy that created it was removed from the system. Discharging a capacitor by connecting the two plates causes electrons to flow from one plate to the other, with each electron overcoming the attraction from any positive charge in the field. However, if a positive charge is moved sideways out of the field, no work is done and the potential energy remains the same.
lluke9
So say we have a uniform field of magnitude X. Let's say the force that the field exerts is dependent on a particle's mass, M.

Now say we move the particle D distance against the force of the field, XM.
Our potential energy will be equal to XMD, because we exerted XM force over distance D, hence work was converted into potential energy.

Now we suddenly turn off this field, like one would turn off an electric field by discharging a capacitor. What happens to the potential energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The field you removed carried the energy that creates that potential. So when you remove the source of the field the potential energy will disappear because the energy that caused it was removed from the system. By whatever magic you accomplished that since Gauss wouldn't be happy you removed a source from the system...suddenly ; )

As an example think about the classic problem of what would happen if you could remove the sun from the solar system. Well, after the last gravitational waves from the sun passed the Earth it would no longer have any potential energy from the sun and it would fly off in a straight line at constant velocity having only kinetic energy.

Hope that helps.

hi lluke9! :smile:
lluke9 said:
… Now we suddenly turn off this field, like one would turn off an electric field by discharging a capacitor. What happens to the potential energy?
Kabbotta said:
… By whatever magic you accomplished that …

as Kabbotta indicates, there's no magic way of removing a field! :biggrin:

you discharge a capacitor by connecting the two plates so that electrons flow from one towards the other

that does not happen instantly, it happens very fast, but one electron at a time, and each electron goes through a voltage difference …

also, if there's eg a positive charge on a spring between the plates, which was being pulled towards the electrons, each electron also has to overcome the attraction from that charge as it moves away! (so you don't get quite as much energy from discharging the capacitor as you thought you would)

the potential energy "disappearing" between the plates equals the work done by moving the electrons :wink:

Thanks for help-- you've restored my faith in classical mechanics xD

But another question... what if I moved that positive charge away from the capacitor so that it is no longer in the field?
And I moved it in from the top, so it gets potential energy?

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, now.

lluke9 said:
... what if I moved that positive charge away from the capacitor so that it is no longer in the field?

you mean, sideways?

then you're moving it through a decreasing electric field :wink:

But I've done no work, right?

hmm … yes, you're right, there's no work! :smile:

i don't know the answer in that case :redface:

lluke9 said:
But I've done no work, right?
This problem is not straightforward but the work done in moving a positive charge from the negative plate to the positive plate can't just disappear! Moving sideways, from the mid point between the plates and out to the side will result in a smaller force acting on the charge but the Potential is defined as the line integral of the force times the distance. Returning to the negative plate will still result in the same amount of work (bigger distance with smaller forces) being got our as was put in initially in moving it the shorter distance (with bigger forces) to the point when it was between the two plates. So the potential remains the same when moving sideways. You have done no work - but 'so what'?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. What is a disappearing field?

A disappearing field is a region of space where the strength of a force, such as an electric or magnetic field, gradually decreases to zero as the distance from the source increases.

3. What happens to potential energy in a disappearing field?

In a disappearing field, the potential energy of an object will decrease as it moves away from the source of the field. This is because the force of the field is gradually decreasing, so the object has to do less work to move against it and its potential energy decreases.

4. Can potential energy be completely eliminated in a disappearing field?

No, potential energy cannot be completely eliminated in a disappearing field. Even at large distances where the field strength is close to zero, there will still be a small amount of potential energy present.

5. How is potential energy related to the strength of a disappearing field?

The strength of a disappearing field is directly proportional to the potential energy of an object within that field. As the field strength decreases, so does the potential energy of the object.