Intuitive reason absolute values are used for transformations in statistics?

In summary, the absolute value of the derivative is used to ensure that the length of the x-interval corresponding to the derivative is not negative.
phiiota

this isn't really homework, but I was just wondering if someone could offer an intuitive reason as to why when random variables are transformed, we use absolute values of derivative of those functions, as opposed to the functions themselves?

Physics news on Phys.org
phiiota said:
this isn't really homework, but I was just wondering if someone could offer an intuitive reason as to why when random variables are transformed, we use absolute values of derivative of those functions, as opposed to the functions themselves?

Can you give an example where this is happening?

well, if say X distributed as f(X), and say i have Y=g(X), and I want to know the distribution of Y, in a simple case I can say that Y~f(g-1(y))|d/dy g-1(y)|.

I don't know why we'd always want the absolute value, as opposed to the derivative in general.

or did you want a specific case? say X~U(0,1), and I want to know say Y=X-1.
then I can say g-1(y)=y-1., and d/dy g-1(y)=-y2, so then my distribution of Y would be

f(g-1(y))|d/dy g-1(y)|=y-2.

I get that if we didn't take the absolute value, then this function would be negative... But aside from that, I'm not seeing an intuitive idea as to why we'd always take the absolute value.

phiiota said:
well, if say X distributed as f(X), and say i have Y=g(X), and I want to know the distribution of Y, in a simple case I can say that Y~f(g-1(y))|d/dy g-1(y)|.

I don't know why we'd always want the absolute value, as opposed to the derivative in general.

[tex]P\{y < Y < y + dy\} = P\{y < g(X) < y + dy\}.[/tex] If g is an increasing function we have
[tex] P\{y < g(X) < y+dy\} = P\{g^{-1}(y) < X < g^{-1}(y+dy) \} =
P\{ g^{-1}(y) < X < g^{-1}(y) + {g^{-1}}^{\prime} (y) dy\} \doteq f[g^{-1}(y)] {g^{-1}}^{\prime}(y) \, dy.[/tex]
If g is a decreasing function we have
[tex] P\{y < g(X) < y+dy\} = P \{ g^{-1}(y+dy) < X < g^{-1}(y) \}
= P\{ g^{-1}(y) - |{g^{-1}}^{\prime}(y)| \, dy < X < g^{-1}(y) \}
\doteq f[g^{-1}(y)]\, | {g^{-1}}^{\prime}(y) | \, dy.[/tex] The point is that the *length* of the x-interval corresponding to dy is [itex] | {g^{-1}}^{\prime}(y) | \, dy [/itex], and you need the absolute value so that the length cannot be negative.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

1. What are absolute values used for in statistics?

In statistics, absolute values are used to measure the distance between a data point and a reference point. This is helpful in determining the magnitude of a data point without considering its direction.

2. Why are absolute values used for transformations in statistics?

Absolute values are used for transformations in statistics because they help to remove any negative values and make the data more symmetrical. This is important for certain statistical analyses that require symmetrical data.

3. How do absolute values affect the interpretation of data in statistics?

The use of absolute values in statistics can affect the interpretation of data by changing the direction of the data and making it easier to compare. This is especially useful when comparing data from different sources.

4. Are there any limitations to using absolute values in statistical transformations?

While absolute values can be helpful in certain situations, they are not always appropriate. For example, they do not take into account the direction of the data and can skew results if used incorrectly.

5. How can intuitive reasoning be used to understand the use of absolute values in statistics?

Intuitive reasoning can help in understanding the use of absolute values in statistics by providing a logical explanation for why they are used. By understanding the purpose and effects of using absolute values, one can better interpret and analyze statistical data.