Is the Mean of a Sum of Randomly Chosen Numbers Always 1?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a sum based on a series of random numbers and the surprising mean of this sum. There is a question about the possibility of the sum diverging and whether it needs to be proven that this is not an issue. Further discussion involves the use of numerical simulations and the need to restrict the sequences of random numbers for the expected value to exist.
suyver
I choose a random number [itex]p_1 \in [0,1)[/itex] and a subsequent series of (increasingly smaller) random numbers [itex]p_i \in [0, p_{i-1})[/itex]. Then I can calculate the sum [itex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty p_i[/itex]. Naturally, this sum is dependent on the random numbers chosen, so its particular result is not very insightful. However, it appears that its mean is rather surprising:
[tex]\left< \sum_{i=1}^\infty p_i \right>=1[/tex]
Does anybody know a proof as to why this is the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
<pi> = (1/2)i. Sum is then 1/2 + 1/4 + ... = 1.

yes, I thought about that one too. But I got confused when I did a bunch of numerical simulations. Sometimes, the sum got very large (>1000). So I worry about the case where the sum may actually diverge: theoretically this is clearly possible (e.g.: sum of 1/n). Do we need to prove that this is not an issue?

suyver said:
yes, I thought about that one too. But I got confused when I did a bunch of numerical simulations. Sometimes, the sum got very large (>1000). So I worry about the case where the sum may actually diverge: theoretically this is clearly possible (e.g.: sum of 1/n). Do we need to prove that this is not an issue?

I think you need to take a look at your numerical simulation.

The probability would be 1 - C(100,30)/2^(-100) = 1 - [100!/(70!30!)]/2^(-100) = 1 - 2.3*10^(-5) that at least 30 of the first 1000 numbers will be < (1/2) * (their predecessor).

The rest of the numbers would than be smaller han 2^(-30), and you would need at least 10^12 numbers to get to a thousand, and after a another 100 numbers, your p(i) would likely be reduced by at least another 2^(-30), etc.

Last edited:
This should be in the probability forum. I bet you'd get some more answers there.

If you want prove this "from scratch", then you have to show that the series [itex]\sum P_i[/itex] represents a valid random variable, and that the partial sums converge to it in a sense sufficiently strong to guarantee that the limit of means is the mean of the limit.

Perhaps there is a theorem in probability that says that if the limit of means exists then all the rest of that is automatically true, but I don't know about that.

For this result, you must restrict the sequences {pi} to those for which ##\sum_{i=1}^\infty p_i## converge, because the inclusion of sequences for which the sum does not converge will clearly prevent the existence of an expected value (mean) of your distribution. There may also be restrictions upon the distribution of pi as a random variable in [0, pi-1), but it has been a long time since I looked at the pertinent theorems by Khinchin et al.

willem2 said:
suyver said:
I think you need to take a look at your numerical simulation.
He probably needs to look at his random number generator.

I used perl to simulation this using $x=rand($x) to generate the terms in the sequence. I too starting seeing large sums start appearing after running for several hundred or more iterations. The problem is that perl apparently interprets rand(0) as meaning "The user is an idiot. He must have meant rand(1)."

What is the "mean of sum of random numbers"?

The "mean of sum of random numbers" refers to the average value obtained when multiple random numbers are added together and then divided by the total number of numbers.

Why is the "mean of sum of random numbers" important in scientific research?

The "mean of sum of random numbers" is important in scientific research because it allows researchers to analyze and interpret data in a meaningful way. This measure helps to determine the central tendency or average value of a set of random numbers, which can provide valuable insights into the data being studied.

How is the "mean of sum of random numbers" calculated?

The "mean of sum of random numbers" is calculated by adding all of the random numbers together and then dividing the sum by the total number of numbers in the set. This can be represented mathematically as: mean = (x1 + x2 + ... + xn) / n, where x1, x2, ..., xn are the random numbers and n is the total number of numbers.

What is the difference between "mean of sum of random numbers" and "sum of mean of random numbers"?

The "mean of sum of random numbers" and "sum of mean of random numbers" are two different measures of central tendency. The "mean of sum of random numbers" calculates the average value of a set of random numbers, while the "sum of mean of random numbers" calculates the sum of the averages of multiple sets of random numbers. In other words, the "mean of sum of random numbers" looks at the average value of a single set, while the "sum of mean of random numbers" looks at the average value across multiple sets.

What are some limitations of using the "mean of sum of random numbers" in research?

One limitation of using the "mean of sum of random numbers" in research is that it does not take into account the distribution of the data. This measure can be heavily influenced by outliers or extreme values in the data, which can skew the results. Additionally, the "mean of sum of random numbers" may not accurately represent the data if the sample size is small or if the data is not normally distributed.