Can one purchase depleted uranium?

• Thread starter Aaronvan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uranium
In summary, DU is safe so long as it is not aerosolized or particles are inhaled. It is used in airliners and yachts. Small samples of DU are available commercially.
Aaronvan
I'd like a small sphere of DU to illustrate mass, i.e. compare it to an equivalent (mass or radius) sphere of aluminum (say). I understand DU is used in airliners and yachts and it is safe so long as it is not aerosolized or particles are inhaled.

Are small samples of DU available commercially?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Aaronvan said:
I'd like a small sphere of DU to illustrate mass, i.e. compare it to an equivalent (mass or radius) sphere of aluminum (say). I understand DU is used in airliners and yachts and it is safe so long as it is not aerosolized or particles are inhaled.

Are small samples of DU available commercially?

Why would DU be used in an airliner?

For CG adjustments, I believe.

berkeman said:
Counterweight.

berkeman said:

I don't think it is used any more. Boeing changed to tungsten back in the 1980s.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/593649.stm

Of course an even better idea is to design planes so the the CG is in the right place without carrying excess weight around.

AlephZero said:
Of course an even better idea is to design planes so that the CG is in the right place without carrying excess weight around.

Yeah, and it would seem much more optimal to have a lighter counterweight move over a longer length of the aircraft. Weird.

There are some exemptions from licensing, if the mass is below the limit for unimportant quantities.
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part040/part040-0013.html

Best to read the entire 10 CFR 40, and either contact the NRC or Agreement State.
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part040/

One company indicates that it sells DU products.
http://www.2spi.com/catalog/chem/depleted-uranium-products.html

The idea of the license is to ensure proper care and disposition of the DU.

As for Boeing counterweights: Depending on model and configuration, 21 to 31 counterweights in each tail assembly. Each aircraft has between 692 and 1059 pounds of DU.
http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML0321/ML032180089.pdf

"Further, starting in 1981, customer airlines were provided
tungsten replacement counterweights which may or may not
have been installed in place of the original depleted uranium
counterweights. At the worst case, the following estimate
can be made based on the number of aircraft and spare
depleted uranium counterweights sold. There were 550
aircraft produced between 1968 and 1981 utilizing depleted
uranium counterweights. With spares, there is a possible
world distribution of 15,000 weights (about 300 tons)."

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but Concorde had to shift fuel around to maintain the correct CoG for flight trim. Up to 33 tons of fuel was available in the trim tanks for this.
http://www.concordesst.com/fuelsys.html

berkeman said:
Yeah, and it would seem much more optimal to have a lighter counterweight move over a longer length of the aircraft. Weird.

These counterweights don't move around. One reason for them is that it's a very tough problem working out an accurate CG position for a structure as complex as a B747, even with today's CAD systems, and for aircraft as old as the B747, the original detail drawings wouldn't have been done with a CAD system anyway.

So you built the first prototype, weighed it, and then "balanced" it to put the CG where the aerodynamics guys had assumed it would be. The reason for using material as dense as possible was to make the counterweights small enough to "hide" inside the aircraft nose or tail.

For operating the aircraft with different loading conditions etc, you can fine tune the CG by moving the fuel and/or cargo around.

In principle its a "simple" problem - just get the mass and CG positions of all the parts and add them up. The trouble starts when you try to collect ALL the data, including the "non-obvious" bits like the fasteners (nuts, bolts, rvets, wiring clips, etc), flight deck equipment etc - for example there is about a quarter of a ton of paint on a B747! All these "odds and ends" might add up to 10% of the total mass of the structure.

Very interesting, thanks Aleph. Yet again I learn something new here at the PF. :smile:

1. What is depleted uranium?

Depleted uranium (DU) is a byproduct of the process of enriching natural uranium for use in nuclear reactors or weapons. It is a radioactive and chemically toxic heavy metal that is denser than lead.

2. Why would someone want to purchase depleted uranium?

Depleted uranium has several industrial and military uses, including as a component in armor-piercing ammunition and as ballast for aircraft and ships. It is also used in some medical and scientific applications.

3. Is it legal to purchase depleted uranium?

In most countries, it is legal to purchase depleted uranium for commercial and industrial purposes, as long as the proper regulations and safety protocols are followed. However, it is illegal to use depleted uranium in weapons or for any malicious purposes.

4. How can one safely handle depleted uranium?

Depleted uranium is a hazardous material and should only be handled by trained professionals with the proper safety equipment and precautions. It is important to follow strict protocols for storage, transportation, and disposal to prevent exposure to its radioactive and toxic properties.

5. Can depleted uranium be recycled or reprocessed?

Yes, depleted uranium can be recycled or reprocessed for future use. This process involves separating the uranium from other materials and converting it back into a usable form. However, it is important to follow strict regulations and safety measures to avoid any potential health and environmental hazards.