Good beginner math book on fractional dynamics

In summary, the conversation is about finding textbooks for beginners on dynamics (mechanics) using fractional calculus. The book by K.B.Oldham and J.Spannier is recommended as a good starting point, and there is also a helpful introduction on Wikipedia and a rudimentary paper on the topic.
nukapprentice
I was wondering if anyone knows any textbooks that are a good beginners guide for the dynamics (mechanics) using the fractional calculus. I have The Fractional Calculus by Oldham and Spanier but was hoping to find something more rudimentary. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nukapprentice said:
I was wondering if anyone knows any textbooks that are a good beginners guide for the dynamics (mechanics) using the fractional calculus. I have The Fractional Calculus by Oldham and Spanier but was hoping to find something more rudimentary. Thanks.

Hi !

On my opinion, the book of K.B.Oldham and J.Spannier is one the best to start in the field of fractionnal calculus.
There is a good introduction in Wiki :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_calculus#Fractional_derivative_of_a_basic_power_function
An even rudimentary paper : "La derivation fractionnaire" (including English translation)
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents

oh, thanks for the reply. I actually have the book by Oldham and Spanier but I will try out that link for the paper you provided.

1. What is fractional dynamics?

Fractional dynamics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of dynamic systems using fractional calculus. It involves understanding the behavior and properties of systems that exhibit non-integer order dynamics.

2. Why is it important to have a good beginner math book on fractional dynamics?

A good beginner math book on fractional dynamics can provide a solid foundation for understanding the concepts and applications of this complex branch of mathematics. It can also help bridge the gap between traditional calculus and more advanced topics such as fractional calculus.

3. What makes a good beginner math book on fractional dynamics?

A good beginner math book on fractional dynamics should have clear explanations of key concepts, a variety of examples and exercises, and a gradual progression of difficulty. It should also provide real-world applications and connections to other areas of mathematics and science.

4. Is prior knowledge of calculus necessary to understand fractional dynamics?

Prior knowledge of calculus is helpful but not necessary to understand fractional dynamics. However, a basic understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals can make the learning process easier.

5. Can a beginner book on fractional dynamics be used for self-study?

Yes, a good beginner math book on fractional dynamics can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and to supplement the book with online resources or a tutor for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.