Dissolving silver carbonate

by kevinnn
Tags: carbonate, dissolving, silver
kevinnn
Feb17-14, 06:39 PM
P: 108
This is my last question on a prefab and I want to make sure this answer is correct. The question states;
On the basis of LeChatelier's principal, explain why silver carbonate dissolves when nitric acid is added.
I said it was because mixing nitric acid and silver carbonate will produce silver nitrate, which is soluble, and carbonic acid, (I'm assuming carbon dioxide and water which forms carbonic acid). This answer seems much more like the explanation of just a chemical reaction instead of relating directly to LeChatelier's principal. What am I missing? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
Borek
Feb18-14, 03:10 AM
Admin
P: 22,709
You ignored the (most important) final step. What happens to carbonic acid?
kevinnn
Feb18-14, 01:20 PM
P: 108
Thanks.

Register to reply