Solving Calc Questions Before Uni: Integrals & Surds

• Thread starter lektor
  • Start date
C In summary, the first problem can be solved by using the substitution u=cos(x) and then applying the power rule to get -u^5/5+C as the final answer. The second problem can be solved using integration by parts and the third problem can be solved with a simple u-substitution.
lektor
Hi, just needa clear up how to do some certain questions before i start uni in a few weeks.

Intergrate: sin(x) . cos^4 (x)

I'm not sure if i needa split up the coses to use an identity or whatever.

intergrate: xe^(x^2+1)

= xe(x^2+1)/2x
(1/2)e(x^2+1) ?

I think that is right but not certain.

and

Intergrate: 5/m - 3√m expressing answer in surd form

I get as far as 5ln|m| .. then get slightly confused by the second part.

Cheers in advance to thoose who can help and shows steps to refresh me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the first one you're going to need to know some of those annoying trig substitutions. I haven't had to memorize them in years, but they're the formulas for like sin^m*cos^n when m is odd and n even, or both odd, and so on. There're specific ways to deal with that

The second one is integration by parts, which I HAVE had to memorize since cal 2, so you should make note to know it too. If you have the integral of u*dv, that can be expressed as u*v-int(v*du) it's a sort of circular exchange of variables which makes it easy to memorize. As for which is u and which is dv, you should experiment, remembering you want the integral you end up with in the second equation to actually be solvable, and remember that the dv includes the (dx) you didn't mention, so when you integrate to find v, you know you're integrating with respect to x.

as for 5/m - 3/m, I can't tell if that's like a square root or something you were trying to make there. If so, writing it as 3(m)^(1/2) should make it more clear

schattenjaeger said:
Well the first one you're going to need to know some of those annoying trig substitutions. I haven't had to memorize them in years, but they're the formulas for like sin^m*cos^n when m is odd and n even, or both odd, and so on. There're specific ways to deal with that

The second one is integration by parts, which I HAVE had to memorize since cal 2, so you should make note to know it too. If you have the integral of u*dv, that can be expressed as u*v-int(v*du) it's a sort of circular exchange of variables which makes it easy to memorize. As for which is u and which is dv, you should experiment, remembering you want the integral you end up with in the second equation to actually be solvable, and remember that the dv includes the (dx) you didn't mention, so when you integrate to find v, you know you're integrating with respect to x.

as for 5/m - 3/m, I can't tell if that's like a square root or something you were trying to make there. If so, writing it as 3(m)^(1/2) should make it more clear

That second integral does NOT require integration by parts a simple u-substitution will work.

lektor said:
Hi, just needa clear up how to do some certain questions before i start uni in a few weeks.

Intergrate: sin(x) . cos^4 (x)

I'm not sure if i needa split up the coses to use an identity or whatever.

intergrate: xe^(x^2+1)

= xe(x^2+1)/2x
(1/2)e(x^2+1) ?

I think that is right but not certain.

and

Intergrate: 5/m - 3√m expressing answer in surd form

I get as far as 5ln|m| .. then get slightly confused by the second part.Cheers in advance to thoose who can help and shows steps to refresh me.
For 1,
If the power of sine function is odd, then just make a u-substitution: u = cos(x).
Example:
[tex]\int \sin ^ 3 x \cos ^ 2 x dx[/tex]. Let u = cos x => du = -sin x dx (or dx = du / (-sin x)). Now, we have:
[tex]\int \sin ^ 3 x \cos ^ 2 x dx = \int -\sin ^ 2 x \times u ^ 2 du = \int (u ^ 2 - 1) u ^ 2 du = \int (u ^ 4 - u ^ 2) du = \frac{u ^ 5}{5} - \frac{u ^ 3}{3} + C[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\cos ^ 5 x}{5} - \frac{\cos ^ 3 x}{3} + C[/tex].
If the power of cosine function is odd, then just make a u-substitution: u = sin(x).
----------
For 2, hint:
[tex]3 \sqrt{m} = 3 m ^ \frac{1}{2}[/tex].
----------
For 3, d_leet has pointed out that this can be done with a u-substitution, what's u, do you think?
Can you go from here? :)

Oh, well, yah, of course. I was...you know...giving him..practice..at..IBP. Yah. Practice. Because it's useful. And good...to practice >_>
<_<

Great I've got the 2nd and 3rd question, but the first one seems to be a gap in my studies, i have never heard of this odd function concept, could someone please work through the question with labeled steps for me as it may refresh me.

When you integrate (sinx)^m*(cosx)^n, where m and n are just integers(don't misread my notation, it's the (sinx)^m, not sin(x^2))you can do it by making a u substitution that isn't necessarily obvious on inspection. As someone mentioned, when m is odd, you do u=cos(x)(I'm assuming he was right)in your problem m is 1, so yah, u=cosx, du=-sin(x), and it's a u substitution, which you know how to do if you can do the second problem, you may just have not studied that specific case and then you'd have to sort of guess on u substitutions until you got something that worked.

seriously I've tried this a few times now and the answer they give is still different, can someone please take the time to do the question for me :)i have reviewed viet's technique and what he has done with the sin^3 x is really confusing me.

Integrand is sin(x)*cos^4(x), make the sub u=cos(x) so du=-sin(x)dx

if u=cos(x), you transform the integrand into -u^4*du (you almost had the du there(the sin(x)) but you needed that negative so you just multiply your new integrand by -1/-1, which is of course just multiplying by one so it's a legal operation, and it gets you the negative sin(x) to make your du, but you still had that -1 you were dividing by, which then makes it negative...err, it's hard to explain and I'm assuming you've studied making these substitutions before, as you did the other problem fine apparently)

the integral of -u^4*du is -(u^5)/5. Substitute cos(x) back in for u, so the answer is -(cos^5(x))/5

Last edited:
The part that lost you in his example, I believe where after he peels off one of those sines(so up to there it works like your problem, but in the end he has that extra sin^2(x) left over)he made the trig sub sin^2(x)=1-cos^2(x), or 1-u^2, and he had that negative there from making the du(just like I did)so it becomes u^2-1

finally got it, ~_~!

Cheers the help on this one schatten~

1. How do I solve integrals?

To solve integrals, you need to use different techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is essential to understand the rules of integration and practice solving various types of integrals to become proficient in solving them.

2. What are surds and how do I solve them?

Surds are expressions that contain irrational numbers, such as square roots. To solve surds, you need to simplify the expression by factoring out perfect squares and then applying the appropriate operations to solve the remaining irrational numbers.

3. What is the best way to prepare for solving calculus questions before university?

The best way to prepare for solving calculus questions before university is to practice regularly and understand the fundamental concepts. You can also seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources for additional support and practice materials.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving integrals and surds?

To improve your skills in solving integrals and surds, you should practice regularly, understand the rules and techniques, and review your mistakes. You can also seek help from peers, teachers, or online resources for additional practice and guidance.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals and surds?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals and surds include forgetting to apply the appropriate rules, making calculation errors, and not simplifying the expression completely. It is crucial to double-check your work and understand the steps to avoid making these mistakes.