Electric fields are not always superposable

In summary, according to the Physics textbook by Resnick, Halliday and Krane, the principle of superposition of electric fields may fail in the case of very strong electric forces. This statement is given in both chapter 25 and 26, and the book does not provide any further explanation for this phenomenon. Some possible explanations, such as ionization of air, have been suggested but are not confirmed.
ssj5harsh
"Electric fields are not always superposable"

In my Physics textbook by Resnick, Halliday and Krane (Wiley publications), it is mentioned that (pg. 575),
" the principle of superposition of electric fields is not at all obvious and may fail in the case of very strong electric forces."
Can someone please elaborate on this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
ssj5harsh said:
In my Physics textbook by Resnick, Halliday and Krane (Wiley publications), it is mentioned that (pg. 575),
" the principle of superposition of electric fields is not at all obvious and may fail in the case of very strong electric forces."
Can someone please elaborate on this point.
I don't really know what you are talking about. Could you provide some more info. I must have a different Resnick, Halliday and Krane version (i have got the 5th extended edition)

marlon

Thank you

I have the Resnick,Halliday and Krane. Fifth Edition (Eastern economy edition). The name is Fundamentals of Physics.(Vol 2)
The statement is given in chapter 25 and chapter 26.
The book does not provide any more information. After the statement, it simply states that the principle of superposition is valid for all situations described in the book.

I have also asked my teacher. He says it might be due to ionization of air in strong electric fields, but i don't find his explanation satisfactory (for, if it was such a simple reason, the text would mention it.)

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for electric fields to be superposable?

Electric fields are said to be superposable when the total electric field at any point is equal to the sum of the individual electric fields at that point. In other words, the effects of multiple electric fields can be added together to determine the overall electric field at a point.

2. Why are electric fields not always superposable?

Electric fields may not always be superposable due to the presence of electric charges. When there are multiple electric charges in a system, each charge creates its own electric field that can interact with the other electric fields present. This can result in a non-linear combination of electric fields, making them not superposable.

3. How does the non-superposability of electric fields affect their behavior?

The non-superposability of electric fields can result in complex interactions between electric fields and charges, making it more difficult to predict the behavior of the system. It can also lead to the formation of electric field lines that are not straight, which can affect the movement of charged particles in the system.

4. Can electric fields ever be superposable?

Yes, electric fields can be superposable if the system only contains point charges that are stationary. In this case, the electric fields created by each point charge can be added together to determine the overall electric field at a point.

5. How is the non-superposability of electric fields related to the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that the total effect of multiple forces on an object is equal to the sum of the individual effects of each force. This principle does not apply to electric fields that are not superposable, as the total electric field cannot be determined by simply adding together the individual electric fields. Instead, the electric fields must be calculated using more complex methods, such as vector addition or calculus.