Question regarding electronic ground state

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the electronic ground state of an atom and how it relates to the net force and torque acting on the system. It also mentions a paper that delves into quantum mechanical stress and force, specifically in the context of Carr-Parinello quantum dynamics.
chuckschuldiner
hi can anyone please help me

I came across this statement "Since we only consider the electronic ground state of the system, there can be no net force or torque acting upon the subsystem of classically behaving nuclei". Can anyone explain what this means?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ground state of an atom refers to its lowest energy state. In other words, it is not interacting/reacting with other atoms. The net force or torque that is mentioned is referring to such interactions of the electrons.

chuckschuldiner said:

I came across this statement "Since we only consider the electronic ground state of the system, there can be no net force or torque acting upon the subsystem of classically behaving nuclei". Can anyone explain what this means?
Please tell us where you read this and in what chapter and what context.

scarecrow thanks but can u explain in some more detail?

gokul this is from a paper " quantum mechanical stress and a generalized virial theorem for clusters and solids", phys rev b vol 37 (pp 8167).

the paper deals with providing a quantum mechanical framework for stress and force but since i have a mech engg background i am having some difficulties. thanks for helping out

chuckschuldiner said:

this is the basis of Carr-Parinello quantum dynamics - an extended langrangian is used to impose constraints that force the electrons into the ground state. it's gets results similar to born-oppenheimer MD at a fraction of the computational cost

1. What is the electronic ground state?

The electronic ground state refers to the lowest energy state of an atom or molecule, where all of its electrons are in their lowest possible energy levels.

2. How is the electronic ground state determined?

The electronic ground state is determined by the electron configuration of an atom or molecule, which is based on the number of electrons and their arrangement in different energy levels and orbitals.

3. Why is the electronic ground state important?

The electronic ground state is important because it provides the basis for understanding the chemical and physical properties of atoms and molecules. It also helps to predict their reactivity and behavior in different environments.

4. Can the electronic ground state change?

Yes, the electronic ground state can change if the atom or molecule absorbs energy and its electrons are excited to higher energy levels. This process is known as electronic excitation.

5. How does the electronic ground state affect bonding?

The electronic ground state plays a crucial role in bonding between atoms and molecules. The number and arrangement of electrons in the ground state determine the types of bonds that can be formed and the strength of those bonds.