Colliding Galaxies; Hot Gas; New News

In summary, NASA has released a new article about the collision and merger of galaxies, with a focus on how this process can lead to the formation of rocky planets and support life. This release is available daily by subscription and has answered previously discussed questions. The article includes visually appealing images of this galactic evolution.
Labguy
Science Advisor
Another "new" release from NASA. Just click to join and you'll get these every day. So, I won't post these anymore.

This subject has been discussed here on PF before, but this release should answer some of the questions asked.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/08jan_antennae.htm?list768530

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Labguy
Another "new" release from NASA. Just click to join and you'll get these every day. So, I won't post these anymore.

This subject has been discussed here on PF before, but this release should answer some of the questions asked.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/08jan_antennae.htm?list768530

Labguy, I just subscribed as you suggested but I wish you would still
keep on posting interesting news items when you come across them.
It is good for newcomers and also it flags attention to something that you found interesting, in case I happened to miss it when I went thru my email inbox.

so even with old galaxies not doing so much star-formation, they can collide (as Milky is going to do with Andromeda) and this triggers
a huge series of supernova explosions and this throws out into space the elements needed for rocky planets and our carbon-based type of life. So a whole new phase of galactic evolution--with more chances for life and civilization---triggered by collision and merger of galaxies. And they take a picture of it happening and post it on the web. Nice pictures too.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are colliding galaxies?

Colliding galaxies occur when two or more galaxies come into close proximity and their gravitational forces cause them to merge together. This can result in dramatic changes to the shape and structure of the galaxies.

Why is hot gas important in studying colliding galaxies?

Hot gas, also known as intracluster gas, is a key component in understanding the dynamics of colliding galaxies. This gas is heated to high temperatures during the collision and can provide valuable information about the energy and mass involved in the merger.

What new information has been discovered about colliding galaxies?

Recent studies have shown that colliding galaxies are not only responsible for creating new stars, but they can also trigger the growth of supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies. This finding has significant implications for our understanding of galaxy evolution.

What techniques are used to study colliding galaxies?

Astronomers use a variety of techniques to study colliding galaxies, including observations with telescopes that detect different wavelengths of light, computer simulations, and gravitational lensing. Each method provides unique insights into the dynamics and properties of these cosmic collisions.

What can the study of colliding galaxies tell us about the universe?

By studying colliding galaxies, we can learn more about the formation and evolution of galaxies, the distribution of dark matter in the universe, and the role of mergers in shaping the large-scale structure of the universe. This research also helps us better understand the physical laws that govern the cosmos.