I just got accepted into Engineering

In summary, Triden is really excited to be starting university and is looking forward to learning a lot about electrical engineering. She is confident that with good study habits, she will be able to pass all her courses.
triden
I am really excited right now. I just got into the Engineering Transfer program at my local university. Ill be taking the first 2 years of electrical engineering here and then transferring to UBC for the final 2. There is so much I want to learn about this field...basically a dream come true! It looks like a hefty load with 6 courses per semester and all, but I will sure give it my best. I'm sure ill have to visit here to ask questions once in a while :smile:

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations! Are you just starting university?

We are pleased to answer any questions.

Best wishes!

Yes, congratulations!

triden said:
Ill be taking the first 2 years of electrical engineering here and then transferring to UBC for the final 2.

Wow, I didn't know that Physics Forums offers the first two year of an electrical engineering programme. :biggrin:

There is so much I want to learn about this field...basically a dream come true!

It' really nice to see enthusiasm. Best of luck.

Good on ya', mate. Best of luck.

You're in for a treat. I'm doing third year EE "stuff" right now, and I love it. It's nice once you get the boring math out of the way, and can move onto some interesting material.

Congratulations, triden! You're in for a fun ride, and a great career after that. :biggrin: Work hard, and you will be rewarded.

It is not my first year of being in school, but after taking some sciences and other stuff I realized that I finally found my niche. Microcontrollers and all that stuff really fascinate me. I am a little worried about all the math (they say its a slammer), but I assume practise and studying will get pretty much anyone through it. Thanks for the kudo's guys.

Chris

Great job. I'm going into third year and I really enjoy it too. UBC is a really good school. I was thinking about going there, but I ended up at Queen's.

triden said:
It is not my first year of being in school, but after taking some sciences and other stuff I realized that I finally found my niche. Microcontrollers and all that stuff really fascinate me. I am a little worried about all the math (they say its a slammer), but I assume practise and studying will get pretty much anyone through it. Thanks for the kudo's guys.

Chris

Just get some good study habits and you'll be fine. Personally what I found best, is to treat school like a job. Try to put in a specific amount of time each and every day. If you get into the habit of learning things before the final you might do fine in the class, but you will screw yourself in the later courses because you will have to work extra hard to recall all the old material. Each class really does build off the other.

Hell yeah, triden! I considered going to UBC as well, but ended up not wanting to leave the country because of transfer issues. I hope you continue to love it.

George Jones said:
Wow, I didn't know that Physics Forums offers the first two year of an electrical engineering programme. :biggrin:
You have much to learn about PF, George! :rolleyes: Did you know we also offer fish?

Congrats triden! Hope you enjoy your course.

Congrats Triden! Don't forget you have the homework help section here to help you through that math!

Oh, and be sure to pick up your free fish at the Welcome Tent! :biggrin:

FrogPad said:
Just get some good study habits and you'll be fine. Personally what I found best, is to treat school like a job. Try to put in a specific amount of time each and every day. If you get into the habit of learning things before the final you might do fine in the class, but you will screw yourself in the later courses because you will have to work extra hard to recall all the old material. Each class really does build off the other.
Excellent advice! That's the same advice I was given when I started college, and it served me well.

Congrats Triden!

FrogPad said:
If you get into the habit of learning things before the final you might do fine in the class, but you will screw yourself in the later courses because you will have to work extra hard to recall all the old material.
That explains my lousy grades - I only seem to learn things after the final. The upside, as you point out, is that it's now easier for me to remember the stuff for the next course. :redface:

Heck, if only exams were about stuff you learned in the earlier course...

Gokul43201 said:
You have much to learn about PF, George! :rolleyes: Did you know we also offer fish?

Great!

I'll have a Babel, then.

Gokul43201 said:
Heck, if only exams were about stuff you learned in the earlier course...
Right on! If I could have just waited until after I had my Ph.D. to take my undergrad exams, I'd have had a 4.0 gpa. :biggrin: :rofl:

George Jones said:
I'll have a Babel, then.
Pardon, monsieur! Je ne parle pas Anglais! :redface:

best of luck to you

Congratulations Chris!

I'd say print this thread. :wink: If you have to face some difficult situations during your studies it will be a valuable source for -> :smile:s and :biggrin:s

Regards,

nazzard

Good luck with the EE degree :-)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulder's of giants" -- Isaac Newton

http://www.surgecurrent.com

1. What exactly is engineering?

Engineering is a field of study that involves using scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It is a broad discipline that covers a wide range of specialties, such as civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering.

2. What are some common career paths for engineering graduates?

Engineering graduates have a variety of career paths to choose from, depending on their specific field of study and interests. Some common career paths include working as a design engineer, project manager, research and development engineer, or technical consultant. They can also pursue careers in fields like construction, energy, manufacturing, and technology.

3. What skills do I need to excel in an engineering program?

Engineering programs require students to have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They should also have a good understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer science. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also important, as engineers often collaborate with other professionals in their field.

4. What are some challenges I might face in an engineering program?

Engineering programs can be challenging, as they require students to have a strong foundation in math and science. The coursework can be demanding and may involve a lot of problem-solving and critical thinking. Time management and organization skills are also crucial, as engineering students often have a heavy course load.

5. What opportunities are available for engineering students outside of the classroom?

Engineering students have many opportunities to gain hands-on experience and apply their knowledge outside of the classroom. They can participate in internships, co-ops, or research projects, which can provide valuable real-world experience and help them build their resume. Many engineering schools also have student organizations and clubs where students can network and engage in extracurricular activities related to their field of study.