Partial derivate philosophy

In summary: If f does not depend on those other variables, then df/dx= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, not \frac{\partial f}{\partial g}\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}. The only way I can make sense of this is if we are to assume that f depends on g and x only and not on any other variables g might depend on. Then, if x is the independent variable and g is the dependent variable, \frac{d f}{d x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial g}\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} makes sense. That is "The total change in f with respect to x is the change in f with respect
gulsen
partial derivate "philosophy"

I'm having problems with fundementals of partial derivatives. I've looked around for something like "partial derivative FAQ", but couldn't find.

Can any of the following be true in general?

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial g}\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d f}{d x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial g}\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/tex]

I'd rather expect
[tex]\frac{d f}{d x} = \frac{d f}{d g}\frac{d g}{d x}[/tex]
but the partial version seems to be working equally. Can there be cases where the partial version fails?

Also, it's weird that although
[tex]\frac{d f}{d g} = \frac{1}{\frac{d g}{d f}}[/tex]
holds for all,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial g} = \frac{1}{\frac{\partial g}{\partial f}}[/tex]
doesn't. Why not?

I'm desperately looking for a proof for any of them...

p.s.: You may ask which one is independent variable and on what f and g depends. I leave it to the guy who's willing to prove them, because I'm not sure whether if makes any difference in a general proof.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to look up the chain rule(s) for partial derivatives because I think I remember covering a few of these cases in my Calc 3 class.

Step 1: analyse the function and see if it's a composition of functions; Step 2: remember that a total differential of a function and a partial derivation are not the same; Step 3: apply rules.

suppose you have a function
F(x,y)=x^3+y^3
if we want partial derivative of Fx
we write
fx(x, y)= 3x^2
if we want partial derivative of Fy
we write
fy(x,y)= 3y^2

sgd4182 said:
suppose you have a function
F(x,y)=x^3+y^3
if we want partial derivative of Fx
we write
fx(x, y)= 3x^2
if we want partial derivative of Fy
we write
fy(x,y)= 3y^2

I think that the original poster already knew this, and it's not a matter of "writing" it's a matter opf taking the derivative with respect to a single variable in a function of several variables.

gulsen said:
I'm having problems with fundementals of partial derivatives. I've looked around for something like "partial derivative FAQ", but couldn't find.

Can any of the following be true in general?

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial g}\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d f}{d x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial g}\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/tex]

I'd rather expect
[tex]\frac{d f}{d x} = \frac{d f}{d g}\frac{d g}{d x}[/tex]
but the partial version seems to be working equally. Can there be cases where the partial version fails?

Also, it's weird that although
[tex]\frac{d f}{d g} = \frac{1}{\frac{d g}{d f}}[/tex]
holds for all,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial g} = \frac{1}{\frac{\partial g}{\partial f}}[/tex]
doesn't. Why not?

I'm desperately looking for a proof for any of them...

p.s.: You may ask which one is independent variable and on what f and g depends. I leave it to the guy who's willing to prove them, because I'm not sure whether if makes any difference in a general proof.
You can't prove anything until you know what it is you are trying to prove. And that depends on just the things you are not telling us!

When you write
the fact that you are using partial fractions implies that f is a function of several variables, one of which is g and we don't know what the others are, that g is itself a function of several variables, one of which is x. We could assume that the other variables f depends on do not themselves depend on x- so those partial derivatives are 0. If g and those other unknown variables depend on other variables, say y and z, then what you have makes sense: f can be written as a function of x, y, z, say and we are calculating the derivative of f with respect to x only.

On the other hand
I don't think can make sense. If f depends on g, whether there are other variables or not, and g depends on x as well as other variables, implied by the [itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/itex] then f must depend on those other variables as well and df/dx makes no sense.

What is Partial Derivative Philosophy?

Partial derivative philosophy is a concept in mathematics and philosophy that deals with examining changes in one variable while holding all other variables constant. It is often used in the study of multivariable calculus and is also applied in fields such as economics and physics.

Why is Partial Derivative Philosophy important?

Partial derivative philosophy allows us to analyze complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. By isolating specific variables, we can better understand how they affect the overall system and make predictions about its behavior.

What are some real-world applications of Partial Derivative Philosophy?

Partial derivative philosophy is used in various fields such as economics, physics, engineering, and statistics. For example, in economics, it can be used to analyze the effects of changing certain variables on the overall economy. In physics, it can be used to understand the motion of objects in three-dimensional space. In engineering, it can be used to optimize designs and improve efficiency.

What are the limitations of Partial Derivative Philosophy?

Partial derivative philosophy assumes that all other variables are held constant, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also assumes that the system being analyzed is linear, which may not always be true. Additionally, it may not take into account the interactions between different variables, leading to potentially inaccurate predictions.

How does Partial Derivative Philosophy relate to other branches of philosophy?

Partial derivative philosophy is closely related to the philosophical concept of reductionism, which is the belief that complex systems can be understood by breaking them down into simpler parts. It also has connections to determinism, which is the belief that all events are determined by previous causes. However, it can also be viewed through a holistic lens, as it acknowledges the interconnectedness of variables in a system.