Superluminal Matter at Two Stages of Big Bang ?

In summary, the conversation was about a science documentary show called Naked Science, which discussed the Big Bang and evolution of the Universe. The show featured physicists who made some surprising statements, such as matter traveling faster than the speed of light in the early stages of the Big Bang and particles accelerating past the speed of light during the infinite expansion theory. The validity of these statements and their relation to theories of relativity were questioned. A link to an interview with one of the physicists mentioned in the show was also provided.
berkeman
Mentor
Sorry if this is a repost, but I saw something on a science documentary show last night that completely surprised me. The show was on the Big Bang and evolution of the Universe, start to finish. It was on a show called Naked Science on one of the science channels on DTV, and it seems to do a pretty good job with science documentaries.

They were describing the very beginning of the Big Bang, and were in the sub-nanosecond post-bang timescale or so (I think) with the Universe about golf ball size, and the physicist being interviewed for that stage made the statement that the matter was traveling outward faster than the speed of light. I had to rewind the TiVo to be sure that I heard him correctly. How does this fit with SR and GR? Was spacetime so messed up at that early stage that the c speed limit didn't apply?

And then at the end of the show, they were going over the infinite expansion theory, and the physicist being interviewed for that stage talked about how all molecules will decay and fly apart, and he too said that at that stage, particles will accelerate past c. Is this a well-known theoretical phenomena?

The physicists that the show was using for the interviews throughout the show looked like some of the best in their fields, so I don't think they were blowing smoke. I just had never heard of any instances of real superluminal matter. Thanks for any info or clarification on this.

Space news on Phys.org

1. What is superluminal matter?

Superluminal matter refers to any type of matter that is traveling faster than the speed of light. This is a controversial concept and has not been proven to exist in our current understanding of physics.

2. How does superluminal matter relate to the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly, resulting in the formation of all matter and energy. Some theories propose that during the initial stages of the Big Bang, superluminal matter may have existed and played a role in the expansion of the universe.

3. Can superluminal matter be observed or detected?

Currently, there is no evidence or technology that can directly observe or detect superluminal matter. Its existence is purely theoretical and remains a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

4. Is superluminal matter possible according to our current understanding of physics?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which matter and information can travel. The concept of superluminal matter goes against this principle and is not supported by our current understanding of physics.

5. What are the implications of superluminal matter if it does exist?

If superluminal matter does exist, it would challenge our current understanding of fundamental physics and could potentially lead to new theories and breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe. However, without concrete evidence, its existence and implications remain speculative.