Winning the Paper Tower Challenge

In summary, constructing a paper tower to support a thick textbook 14 inches off the ground with a weight limit of 15 g was attempted using tiny paper cylinders taped together in different configurations. However, the tower failed and collapsed. The suggestion was made to create a structure with 40 cylinders arranged in a hexagonal grid, with additional layers stacked on top using 3 cylinders as support. This idea has been suggested before and could potentially be successful. Another idea is to use triangular girders for support. In a previous experience, a tower was successfully built using 3 triangular supports and tightly packed cylinders.
benndamann33
I've spent about 6 horus this weekend trying to construct to build a paper tower that will support thick textbook 14 inches off the ground. the requirement is that it weigh less than 15 g. you can use tape and paper and that's it. Cylinders cannot exceed 5 cm in diameter. Tried making a bunch of tiny paper cylinders, 9 in all, taping three together and thus having three larger cylinders composed of 3 smaller ones. Couldn't hold the textbook, failed and totally colapsed. Any ideas?
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
What about you make, say, 40 cylinders, each with a height of 5 inches. You take 20 of them and arrange them standing in a kind of hexagonal grid, like:

.O O O
O O O O
.O O O

And then you take another 10 and stack them on top such that each cylinder on the new layer sits upon 3 cylinders beneath it, the second layer might look like:

O O O
O O O

And the third layer you take 5 or whatever cylinders, and stack them on the previous layer such that each cylinder sits upon 3 below it.

All the quantities are probably off, but the structure or concept I feel has high potential. :)

This has arisen, in various guises, several times before. Try doing a forum search to check the other threads. I have a preference for triangular girders myself.

I did something similar in my Physics class. We were given 20 pieces of 8.5 x 11 in computer paper and told to construct a tower that could support a brick.

We made 3 triangular supports and just filled them in with tightly packed cylinders. Supported it fine.

1. How do I determine the best strategy for building a paper tower?

The best strategy for building a paper tower will depend on the specific criteria for the challenge. However, some general tips for a successful tower include making a sturdy base, using lightweight materials, and reinforcing weak points.

2. What materials are best for building a paper tower?

The best materials for building a paper tower will depend on the rules of the challenge. However, some common materials include paper, tape, and scissors. It's important to use lightweight materials that can support the weight of the tower.

3. How can I make my paper tower taller without compromising stability?

To make your paper tower taller without compromising stability, try adding more support to the base of the tower. You can also use lightweight materials, such as tissue paper or thin cardboard, for the upper levels of the tower to reduce the overall weight.

4. What is the most important factor in winning the paper tower challenge?

The most important factor in winning the paper tower challenge is having a strong and stable base. This will provide support for the rest of the tower and prevent it from toppling over. Additionally, following the rules and guidelines of the challenge will also be crucial for success.

5. Are there any tips for improving my paper tower building skills?

Some tips for improving your paper tower building skills include practicing with different materials, experimenting with different designs, and paying attention to the overall balance and weight distribution of the tower. It can also be helpful to observe and learn from successful paper tower builders.