Two Mechanics Questions: Projectile and Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems in mechanics. The first problem involves finding the least magnitude of force needed for two particles connected by a string to move upwards along a rough inclined plane, while the second problem involves calculating the time needed for two missiles launched at different angles and speeds to collide.
Thomas154321
1) Two particles, A and B, of masses m and 2m, respectively,are placed on a line of greatest slope, l, of a rough inclined plane which makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between A and the plane is (√3)/6 and the coefficient of frictuon between B and the plane is (√3)/3. The particles are at rest with B higher up l than A and are connected by a light inextensible string which is taut. A force P is applied to B.

a) Show that the least magnitude of P for which the two particles move upwards along l is (11√3)mg/8 and give, in this case, the direction in which P acts.

B) Find the least magnitude of P for which the particles do not slip downwards along l.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8022/mechanics1uy8.png
I think it's all in the diagram except the angle of inclination of 30. The angle between P and the plane is θ.1: Resolving parallel to the slope at B gives: Pcosθ - FB - T - 2mgsin30 = 2ma.

2: Resolving perpendicular to the plane at B gives: RB = Psinθ + 2mg cos30.

3: Resolving parallel to the slope at A gives: T - FA - mg sin30 = ma.

4: Resolving perpendicular to the plane at A gives: RA = mg cos30.

FB = (√3)/3*RB
= (√3)/3*(Psinθ + 2mg cos30).

FA = (√3)/6*RA
= mg/4.

From eq. 3: T = ma + FA + mg/2
= ma + 3mg/4.
Now I'm a bit confused - I have 8 unknowns - a, P, θ, FA, FB, RA, RB, T - and only 6 equations. For part b) I can put a=0 and F=uR, but in part a), a =/ 0. I don't know what to do next. Any help please? 2) The points A and B are 180 metres apart and lie on horizontal ground. A missile is launched from A at speed 100m/s and at an acute angle of elevation to the line AB of arcsin (3/5). A time T seconds later, an anti-missile missile is launched from B, at speed 200m/s and at an acute angle of elevation to the line BA of arcsin (4/5). The motion of both missiles takes place in the vertical plane containing A and B, and the missiles collide.

Taking g=10m/s and ignoring air resistance, find T.
I'm really not too sure on how to solve this, so I've just calculated the heights of each and said that these must be equal.

Vertically at A: a=-g, u=100*(3/5), s=yA
Using s=ut + 1/2at^2: yA = 100*(3/5)t -5t^2.

Vertically at B: a=-g, u=200*(4/5), s=yB
Using s=ut + 1/2at^2: yB = 200*(4/5)(t-T) - 5(t-T)^2100*(3/5)t -5t^2 = 200*(4/5)(t+T) - 5(t+T)^2
=> 60t - 5t^2 = 160(t+T) - 5(t+T)^2
=> 60t - 5t^2 = 160t + 160T - 5t^2 -10tT -5T^2
=> 5T^2 + (10t-160)T -100t = 0.This equation doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Can someone explain what I should be trying to do? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Mechanics" is physics, not mathematics. I moving this to elementary physics.

Are you going to move it then?

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves in a parabolic path due to the force of gravity acting on it. Examples of projectiles include a ball being thrown, a bullet fired from a gun, or a rocket launched into space.

2. What are the factors that affect the motion of a projectile?

The motion of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity acting on it. Air resistance can also play a role in the motion of a projectile.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect an object on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination, or the angle at which an inclined plane is tilted, affects the force required to move an object up or down the plane. The steeper the angle, the greater the force needed to move the object.

4. What is the relationship between the length of an inclined plane and the amount of force needed to move an object?

The longer the inclined plane, the less force is needed to move an object up or down it. This is because a longer inclined plane creates a more gradual slope, reducing the angle of inclination and thus the force required.

5. How does friction play a role in the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that acts against the motion of an object. On an inclined plane, friction can make it more difficult for an object to move up or down the plane, as it creates resistance that must be overcome. This is why smoother surfaces, such as a ball rolling on a ramp, will experience less friction and thus have an easier time moving on an inclined plane.