Exploring the Physics of a Falling Ladder: Impact on a 200 Pound Man

• Thread starter bpatterson9671
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary: The force the ladder exerts on the man is perpendicular to his motion. That makes this problem like masses sliding down surfaces, plane or otherwise, roller coasters, pendulums, etc. Mechanical energy is conserved. You can find the velocity at any height using energy conservation. You can find the direction of the velocity using the motion of the ladder.If you ignore the mass of the ladder, you can treat this as a simple conservation problem. What is conserved? What is the velocity of the poor guy (magnitude and direction) when he hits the ground? Which component(s) of his velocity will result in doing him harm?In summary, the force of
bpatterson9671
This problem came up in discussion - If a 200 pound man was on the top of a 10 foot ladder, and the ladder fell in an arc to the ground, Would the force of impact on the man be less if he "road" the ladder down to the ground on the arc, or if he fell straight down 10 feet separate from the ladder? We are debating this at work and I am trying to come up with the physics behind this. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
bpatterson9671 said:
This problem came up in discussion - If a 200 pound man was on the top of a 10 foot ladder, and the ladder fell in an arc to the ground, Would the force of impact on the man be less if he "road" the ladder down to the ground on the arc, or if he fell straight down 10 feet separate from the ladder? We are debating this at work and I am trying to come up with the physics behind this. Any help?
If you ignore the mass of the ladder, you can treat this as a simple conservation problem. What is conserved? What is the velocity of the poor guy (magnitude and direction) when he hits the ground? Which component(s) of his velocity will result in doing him harm?

I would ignore the mass of the ladder (lets assume it is a really light aluminum one), and I have the equation F = mv , however, I am having a difficult time with the arc velocity calculation. I can calculate the straight line fall due to gravity, but I am not sure of the other.

bpatterson9671 said:
I would ignore the mass of the ladder (lets assume it is a really light aluminum one), and I have the equation F = mv , however, I am having a difficult time with the arc velocity calculation. I can calculate the straight line fall due to gravity, but I am not sure of the other.
The force the ladder exerts on the man is perpendicular to his motion. That makes this problem like masses sliding down surfaces, plane or otherwise, roller coasters, pendulums, etc. Mechanical energy is conserved. You can find the velocity at any height using energy conservation. You can find the direction of the velocity using the motion of the ladder.

If you wanted to be a bit more precise, you would recognize that even if the bottom of the ladder were against a wall, at some angle the ladder would lose contact with the wall and start moving horizontally. The man's path would change from circular to parabolic. Assume first that the bottom of the ladder is constrained to not move, only pivot. Add the possibility of it moving later if you want.

Last edited:

1. How does the length of the ladder affect the force of impact when it falls?

The length of the ladder does not affect the force of impact when it falls. The force of impact is determined by the mass of the ladder and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Does the weight of the ladder change the outcome of the falling ladder question?

Yes, the weight of the ladder does change the outcome of the falling ladder question. The heavier the ladder, the greater the force of impact when it falls.

3. Is there a certain angle at which the ladder will fall without hitting the wall?

Yes, there is a certain angle at which the ladder will fall without hitting the wall. This angle is determined by the height of the ladder and the distance between the base of the wall and the base of the ladder.

4. Can the falling ladder question be solved using Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, the falling ladder question can be solved using Newton's laws of motion. Specifically, the second law of motion (F=ma) can be used to calculate the force of impact when the ladder falls.

5. What other factors besides length and weight can affect the outcome of the falling ladder question?

Other factors that can affect the outcome of the falling ladder question include the surface the ladder is falling on, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the ladder (such as wind or someone pushing the ladder).