Solubility of Gases: Why Decreases with Temp Increase?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decrease in gas solubility with increasing temperature. The example of a pop can is used to explain how the increase in kinetic energy causes gas to leave the solution, resulting in a flat drink. The conversation also mentions that solubility in water typically increases with temperature. The person asking for information is advised to refer to more advanced books for quantitative details.
London Kngiths
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good information regarding why the solubility of gases decreases with the increase of temperature. The only description I have is a cheap example involving a pop can where as the temperature of the can is increased the kinetic energy increases and gas leaves the solution. This results in the flatness of the pop. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a more description explanation.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
--- excepting He in water, solubility increases with temperature, and maybe some others. How much thermo have you had? Or, how deeply did you feel like digging?

The evaporation occurs primarily through the top surface of the liquid. The concept should make perfect sense. If you want the quantitative details, you will need to peruse through some advanced books.

1. Why does the solubility of gases decrease with an increase in temperature?

The solubility of gases is directly related to temperature. As temperature increases, the molecules of a gas gain energy and move faster, causing them to escape from the liquid. This results in a decrease in the amount of gas that can be dissolved in the liquid, leading to a decrease in solubility.

2. How does the type of gas affect its solubility?

The solubility of a gas depends on its molecular structure and polarity. For example, polar gases such as carbon dioxide and ammonia are more soluble in water compared to non-polar gases like oxygen and nitrogen. This is because polar gases can form stronger interactions with water molecules, making them more soluble.

3. Can pressure affect the solubility of gases?

Yes, pressure can affect the solubility of gases. According to Henry's Law, the solubility of a gas is directly proportional to the pressure above the liquid. This means that as pressure increases, more gas molecules can be forced into the liquid, leading to an increase in solubility. However, this only applies to ideal gases and at low pressures.

4. What is the significance of the solubility of gases in everyday life?

The solubility of gases plays a crucial role in various natural processes and human activities. For example, the solubility of oxygen is essential for aquatic life, and the solubility of carbon dioxide is important for plants during photosynthesis. In industries, the solubility of gases is used in various processes such as carbonation in beverages, oxygenation in wastewater treatment, and extraction of natural gases.

5. How can the solubility of gases be increased?

The solubility of gases can be increased by decreasing the temperature, increasing the pressure, or using a solvent with a higher polarity. In addition, some gases can be converted into a more soluble form, such as carbon dioxide being converted into carbonic acid in soda drinks. In industrial processes, the use of surfactants or agitation can also increase the solubility of gases in liquids.