[Grad School] Does this make sense?

In summary, a Masters in math, specifically Lie groups, would be helpful for a graduate degree in physics. However, other areas of mathematics may be more useful.
tmc
I need some help deciding what to do in grad school.

My ultimate goal is to do research in purely theoretical physics, probably in LQG, or perhaps in String theory, or something of this nature (spare me the talk about never getting a job - I know). I'd like to do this from a very formal and mathematical point of view.

I'm about to graduate with a double major in Physics and Mathematics, and need to decide what to do for grad school. My current plan is to do a Masters in math, on Lie groups, specifically related to physics, and then go do a PhD in physics, in LQG or whatever specific field I'll have decided on by then.

Does this make sense? Do Lie groups play an important enough role that getting a Masters in it will actually help? Would a masters in another area of mathematics be more useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have an ADVISER AT YOUR SCHOOL? Can you talk to someone in the physics or math physics group there?from what little i know, riemann surfaces and differential geometry are more central to string theory than are lie groups.

(I have been a lecturer in the school of Riemann surfaces for string theory at the International Center for Theoretical Physics in Trieste.)

tmc said:
(spare me the talk about never getting a job - I know)

darn.. that doesn't leave me much to say to you...

soooo... have you filed your taxes yet?:rolleyes:

tmc said:
I need some help deciding what to do in grad school.

My ultimate goal is to do research in purely theoretical physics, probably in LQG, or perhaps in String theory, or something of this nature (spare me the talk about never getting a job - I know). I'd like to do this from a very formal and mathematical point of view.

I'm about to graduate with a double major in Physics and Mathematics, and need to decide what to do for grad school. My current plan is to do a Masters in math, on Lie groups, specifically related to physics, and then go do a PhD in physics, in LQG or whatever specific field I'll have decided on by then.

Does this make sense? Do Lie groups play an important enough role that getting a Masters in it will actually help? Would a masters in another area of mathematics be more useful?

uOttawa! Are you in the PHYS4602 course at Carleton this term?! If so, hi! :biggrin:

Data said:
uOttawa! Are you in the PHYS4602 course at Carleton this term?! If so, hi! :biggrin:

uOttawa yes, but I'm not in that course.

Oh, shucks. I'm in the counterpart program at Carleton, and also graduating this term. There are a few graduating uOttawa students in the course. :smile:

Ki Man said:
darn.. that doesn't leave me much to say to you...

soooo... have you filed your taxes yet?:rolleyes:

??:confused:

1. What should I do if my research findings do not make sense?

It is common for research findings to not make sense at first. You should review your methodology and data to see if there are any errors or gaps that could explain the discrepancies. You can also consult with your advisor or colleagues to get their perspective and brainstorm potential explanations.

2. How can I ensure that my research proposal makes sense to my committee members?

To ensure that your research proposal makes sense to your committee members, it is important to clearly articulate your research question, objectives, and methodology. Use clear and concise language and provide supporting evidence to back up your ideas. It can also be helpful to have a mock presentation or run through with a colleague to get feedback and make necessary revisions.

3. What should I do if my research question is too broad or too narrow?

If your research question is too broad, you may need to narrow it down by focusing on a specific aspect or population. If it is too narrow, you may need to broaden it by considering additional variables or perspectives. It is important to strike a balance between being too broad and too narrow to ensure that your research is feasible and relevant.

4. How do I know if my research design is appropriate for my research question?

The best way to determine if your research design is appropriate for your research question is to consult with your advisor or other experts in your field. They can provide valuable feedback and suggest alternative designs if needed. It is also important to conduct a thorough literature review to see how other studies have approached similar research questions and what methods they have used.

5. Can I change my research question or design after starting my graduate program?

Yes, it is possible to change your research question or design after starting your graduate program. However, it is important to discuss any changes with your advisor and committee members to ensure that they align with your overall goals and are feasible to complete within your timeline. Changes may also require additional approvals or revisions to your proposal or thesis, so it is important to consider the potential impact before making any changes.