Object Must Be Placed at 15cm from Convex Mirror for Half Size Image

In summary, a virtual image with a 30cm focal length formed by a convex mirror can be half the size of the object if the object is placed at a distance of 60cm from the mirror. The equations to keep in mind are 1/Do + 1/Di = 1/F for object and image distance, I/O = Di/Do for image and object height, and O/I = F/F-Di. It is important to remember that the image is virtual and therefore the image distance (Di) is a negative value in Gauss' formula.
-_-'
A virtual image is formed by a convex mirror that has a 30cm focal length. Where must the object be placed if the image is to be half the size of the object?

I know that since the mirror is convex F is negative (F is the focal length). Useful equations are 1/Do + 1/Di = 1/F, where Do is the objects distance and Di is the images distance. I/O = Di/Do, where I is the height of the image and O is the height of the object. And O/I = F/F-Di.

I'm not really sure on where to start could some one give me some pointers. :confused:

I = Ox(1/2) or 2I = O

F= -30cm

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

The amplification I/O also equls to [tex]\frac{|D_i|}{|D_o|}[/tex] when we talk about near-axis light.
Be careful and recall that the image is a virtual one and therefore [tex]D_i[/tex] is a negative value in Gauss' formula.

Best regards

Thanks for the tip :D

1. How does the distance from a convex mirror affect the size of the image?

The distance from a convex mirror affects the size of the image by changing the angle at which the light rays reflect off the mirror. As the distance from the mirror decreases, the angle of reflection increases, resulting in a larger image. Conversely, as the distance increases, the angle of reflection decreases, resulting in a smaller image.

2. Why is the object placed at exactly 15cm from the convex mirror for a half size image?

The object is placed at exactly 15cm from the convex mirror because this distance allows for the light rays to reflect at an angle that creates a magnified image that is half the size of the original object. This is known as the focal length of the convex mirror.

3. What happens if the object is placed closer or farther than 15cm from the convex mirror?

If the object is placed closer than 15cm from the convex mirror, the angle of reflection will be too large and the image will appear larger than half the size of the original object. If the object is placed farther than 15cm from the convex mirror, the angle of reflection will be too small and the image will appear smaller than half the size of the original object.

4. How does the shape of a convex mirror affect the size of the image?

The shape of a convex mirror affects the size of the image by causing the light rays to reflect outwards, creating a magnified image. The curve of the mirror allows for a larger field of view, resulting in a larger image compared to a flat mirror.

5. Can the distance from a convex mirror be adjusted to change the size of the image?

Yes, the distance from a convex mirror can be adjusted to change the size of the image. Moving the object closer to the mirror will result in a larger image, while moving it farther away will result in a smaller image. However, the distance must be precisely 15cm to achieve a half size image.